You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend In Aniak

What a great (and much needed) weekend! FINALLY, Ian and I were able to see each other. He looked great, of course, and had actually gained a few pounds (I was very happy about that). Although it has almost been a year since we were married, I hope that we never stop being newly weds. He really has become part of who I am, and I am so thankful for his friendship and love.

This first picture is our new home. It is a quadplex that was built for the medical providers coming to Aniak. We are on the top floor and Roberta, our office manager, lives on the bottom (those are her snow machines). She is around our age and I am excited for her to teach me how to knit.








This is our kitchen. We spent most of Saturday night cleaning the refrigerator, cupboards, window blinds,etc. Ian and I had such a good time doing this together. Who would have thought that scrubbing grime could be so much fun?! While we were doing the muscle work, we had a pretty good theological conversation going on as well. I think I may have even given him something to ponder....that may have been a first!






Overall the apartment was very nice, it needed a few minor scrub downs, but I was extremely happy when I saw it.  I know it will feel like home once our stuff arrives.We are hoping that it will come sometime next week.




This next picture is the Aniak Volunteer Fire Department. This is actually very cool. The volunteers are mostly high school girls ages 14-16. They meet every Thursday night and under the supervision of a local paramedic, they learn basic EMT/BLS skills and lifting/transporting techniques. They call themselves the Dragon Slayers and were actually featured on the Oprah Wimfrey show a few years ago. A&E also did a special on them (we watched it this weekend) and Toyota gave them a Forerunner! 




This view is on the bank of the Kuskokwim river. This is the same river that the mushers took last weekend for the K300. Because of the odd weather changes this year, the river froze, thawed, then re-froze again and created this unusual ice pattern. Usually it is very smooth, and often it is used to travel to and from local villages. The view here is just beautiful! Ian and I are really looking forward to some hiking and camping this summer.


This is our clinic. It is called the Clara Morgan Clinic, NOT Clara Barton,  ( I seemed to have gotten the name wrong the first time...see the posts below). It is named after a local native elder. It was actually one of the first sub region clinics in the Delta. It is about 1 mile to our apartment and across the street from the airport.

















This last picture is for real...$20.29 for a 2.5 gallon of water! We still are not over the sticker shock found at the AC (our local grocery store), and are learning very quickly just how far rice and beans really will go!

This weekend we did splurge and order pizza and subs from the local Hound House, though. This is Aniak's claim to fame in the Delta, they do a really good job with their food. Even though they are the only restaurant around, it has quickly become our favorite!



I left this morning around noon and took the hour flight back to Bethel ( a very bumpy ride on a very little plane).  It was hard to leave Ian, but knowing that he is doing well and enjoying our new home makes it easier. He has already made some good friends, so in a way he is making my transition there smoother as well. He even received an award last week for his hard work and good attitude! Way to go, honey!

Lastly, I have a prayer request. I have a friend, a wife and mother of four young children, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I was shocked to hear the news. It has really saddened my heart and I am asking for prayers of strength for this battle that she has begun.

Love to you all, God Bless.
-Sarah

10 comments:

  1. Love your new home...love to see and hear all that you two are doing. I will keep your friend in my prayers....strength for her and her family. Keep adding pics. I feel like I am there. God Bless you and Ian, you are a couple that puts your faith into practice..I am so proud of you. Love, Madre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So glad you were able to cheer Ian up this weekend. I just got off the phone with him and he was overjoyed to have you there. Can't wait to hear more this week. Keep the inspirations coming. Love you! "O"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Uncle Ian and Aunt Sarah its niecko. Why are the water jugs $20.29? Thats a lot! I hope to see you soon! Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clara Barton a native elder? I'm confused. She was born in 1821 in Oxford, Massachusetts and tended to the wounded during the civil war. She founded the American Red Cross. Perhaps I misunderstand...and the clinic was named BY a native elder???
    LOVE the photos!!! I thought your apartment was on stilts...is it but we just don't see? We will keep your friend in our prayers. We love you Sarah!!
    L & L

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about melting ice and water??? at those prices i'm wondering how much you are being charged for daily household water usage.
    How much were the Werthers? Love the pictures.
    It sure helps ease the "miss you" blues.
    Sarah, i hope you will keep a journal because
    you can write a book when your journey ends.
    Love you both, Mamma Niecko

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto (from L & L) about Clara Barton.
    From another nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty sure that Clara Barton is the actual name of the elder, too....I will have to clarify. Maybe she was named after the famous nurse? - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay everyone, I am not even a nurse nor a native Alaskan but I even know it was just a mistake (its okay Sarah, don't feel bad). It is Clara Morgan. We forgive you Sarah and love you so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I was wrong, It is Clara Morgan! I applaud Lisa, Larry, and Dianne for their intellect! Any chance you might consider Jeopardy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. SURELY you know I wasn't trying to make you feel bad Sarah. Apparently it is perceived I was trying to. :( Love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete