Well, the time has finally arrived. Sarah and I left a frigid Battle Creek, MI for a shockingly warmer Bethel AK ( 35 + degrees). I do not live with the fanciful delusion this kind of weather will be long lived. As most of you know, our final destination is Aniak. Prior to departure, Sarah and I both have NEO "New Employee Orientation" here at the main hospital, Wednesday, Jan 6th, in Bethel. Bethel, as descibed by our contact here, is about 230 miles from Aniak, or, 1.5 hours as the snowmobile flies (hmm... I've done the math on this one, but maybe some variable is escaping me). Sarah will stay on board for an 8 week training course at YKHC here in Bethel (For those interested in this organization, checkout "ykhc.org"), while I leave this Sunday to fly out to Aniak. Our shipment should arrive about the time I get there. I will train at the Aniak clinic for two jobs: Registration clerk, and the other one escapes me at the moment. :) Sarah may fly out to see me 4 weeks in the training. I sure will miss her! Also, our skype is up and "fully operational," if any of you would desire to talk camera to camera with us.
At the moment, we both feel slightly, well, more than slightly, out of our element. "Change" is always easier said than done. The sense of "control" in life we came here with is already, and will likely, be profoundly tested (Reminds me of a movie I watched some time ago called "Instinct." It stars Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding Jr.; a theme of "control" and its illusion runs through it: I suggest watching it). We are equally excited and fearful of this opportunity, for we both know this will serve to make our marriage better reflect Jesus and His church. I am sure that somehow this will be a repeated lesson, one I hope will bring deeper humility in our lives.
I want to personally apologize to all those who have been in any type of contact with me these past two or so months. There were some things that slipped through the cracks, and I am sorry. I have been somewhat scatter-brained and detached due to this underestimated move. I hope now I can redeem that time in some form or another. More updates of God's work in the bush and Ian and Sarah's reactions coming soon.
Sarah and I will be praying for all of you who have asked us to. If you are wondering how to pray for us, I suggest a two-fold approach: 1) For us, something like Eph 1:16-19 and Eph 3:17-19, and Psalm 91; 2) For God's movement in the Alaskan bush (more on this soon). If these do not appeal to you, then ask God yourself (haha!)
Hi Sarah & Ian! Thankful for your safe trip. Excited about your blog....Jason is working on setting up Skype....Micah will think that is so cool to talk to you on the computer. Love to you both! Susie
ReplyDeleteHey Ian and Sarah, wow four weeks apart! Ian you'll just have to snuggle up to a grizzly bear or somethin at night, well your used to the frozen tundra. We will be praying those Ephesian prayers over you two and we know that as you die to yourselves that God is going to bring forth LIFE. Love, Clay and Ali
ReplyDeleteIT WAS SO GREAT TO TALK TO U THIS EVENING, MISS AND LOVE U TWO SO VERY MUCH.
ReplyDeleteHi !!! Sarah & Ian.
ReplyDeleteThis is Lou & Deb Saddison, how are you doing ?
Lou is sending you a hug special delivery soon. Been wondering how you are doing, miss you & the talks we used to have. Do you have an e-mail address or facebook I can connect w / u on. Take care and God bless. Lou & Deb