My Bethel adventure continues! Although I have been on call for deliveries all week I have yet to bring new life into this world. Currently I am training with an OB/GYN, he is a great teacher and I am learning many new procedures (cervical ripening with balloon catheters, implanon insertion...for those medical followers). I am in the women's health clinic most of this week so am doing a lot of prenatal visits. The teen pregnancy rate here is extremely high, and many women my age already have 7-8 children...whew! Overall the experience has been great, and I am really enjoying my time here.
My colleagues are super! Last sunday I was invited to a friends house for dinner (caribu stew...she didnt know I was a vegetarian) and last night I went out with a group as well. The people here are very friendly and inviting, and I am very thankful for the sense of "community" found here. As I don't have a car, I have had to rely on this kindness for rides to and from work and to the grocery (although I am trying to go there as little as possible, its very $$$).
Ian is in Aniak. He started his job yesterday and from what I gather he is enjoying himself. He sounded very tired last night when we talked, apparently he has been doing a lot of training as well. He will not only be registering patients and arranging flights to and from Bethel/Anchorage for high risk cases, but dealing with insurance as well. For those of you in the health care field you can probably understand the mental exhaustion associated with HMO's/ Medicaid/Medicare.
There was also a little mix up with our movers so Ian is currently living out of his suitcase. We are hoping that our stuff arrives in the next week so that he can officially move us into our igloo.
Here in Bethel, I have now experienced the strongest wind ever. Since our house is on stilts, it shakes! I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night because the wind was whipping very hard and my bed was moving back and forth. I kept thinking of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz and how her home just blew away. Don't worry mom, it is secured with cables :) As a result, though, we have had a drop in temperatures. I am not really sure what they are, but its cold!
Again, we really appreciate the support we have been receiving. I get so excited to read the daily comments from everyone and see our new followers. Its really nice to hear about "home" and how loved ones are doing.... Love you all and God Bless!
Hi Sarah, so good to hear from you and let us all see what is going on in your lives. God is amazing isn't He, the way he provides? Russ just has a sermon about prayer...he said if you're going to pray don't worry, and if you're going to worry...don't pray! So you two, just rely and trust on GOd...where he leads, He provides! I'll be watching the updates! Love, Sherry
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah it was very exciting as I read this and I could piture every moment, glad I coudnt feel the moment I dont know what -40 below feels like, but thank you for sharing, you guys are a blessing and are blessed!!!!
ReplyDeleteJessica and I began our adventure in Alaska at about the same age that you are. It remains very dear to my heart and holds many stories, some which people believe and others they don't. I am excited to follow along with you as you go through this experience. I also have a story about the wind but my trailer wasn't tied down. OOPS. you learn a lot living in Alaska.
ReplyDelete