Last week while I was chewing a Reesen, a chocolate/carmel gooey thing (I gave into my craving) I lost a filling! As I am headed into the last frontier next weekend (Bethel is considered the "big city" here) I knew that I had to have this taken care of soon. So today, after much finagling from the chief of staff here at the hospital, I was able to get in to the dentist. I am now the proud owner of a new porcelain filling. I realize that this is not huge news for the blog, but it was a blessing to have dental access out here. Otherwise, I would have had to go to Anchorage.
So, that was my morning, followed by an afternoon in the pediatric clinic, then another delivery tonight. I was able to help deliver a 9.3 lb baby girl. This first time mother was not as quiet as the last one, she made childbirth seem much harder and much more painful. Thankfully she did not tear (I will spare you the rest of the details) and was breast feeding and happy when I left. I am still awed by birth, life is so amazing!
I talked to Ian earlier and our stuff finally came in. I am sure that he will be very busy tonight bringing in 4300 lbs of goods. Thanks honey, I am there helping you in spirit! Hopefully sometime this week he will be able to get our internet and magic jack (land line phone that works through the internet) set up. We still haven't decided on what internet to choose. Option #1 has a $1200 installation fee but is very fast, and option #2 is more affordable, but has the old snail dial up speed. I am sure you can see our dilemma
Other than that we are both doing great. I continue to see some very disturbing cases in the ER (again I will spare you all the details), but am still thrilled to be learning so much. Ian is currently taking a medical terminology class. Its actually pretty funny when we talk. He likes to discuss his pretend health aliments with me using his new language. Its a little different than his native Hebrew, but he seems to be catching on very well.
Next week I will be working in two different villages, Emmonak and Toksook. They are both northwest of Bethel and have populations around 500-600. After that, I will finally be in Aniak with Ian.
I hope this finds all of you warm and well. I understand there was a major storm front in Michigan. I still can't believe that some of you are experiencing colder weather and more snow than we are in Alaska!
God Bless
-Sarah
awesome that you're delivering babies! there is nothing like it....we had a busy night last sunday, i told my staff that i think a bus of pregnant women stopped outside of the hospital:) had an awesome delivery myself...love to birth some babies. keep the stories coming, such a great way for us to keep in touch with you and Ian, not much longer and you will be together! love you
ReplyDeleteA magic Jack won't work with internet option #2 Sarah. You are going to have to go with the $1200 set up if you want a magic jack
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing experience you must be having. Bringing in new life to this world is just awe inspiring. We're having fun with all the snow here in Michigan. It reminds me of our days sledding at Dead Man's Hill. Somewhere we have pictures of your dad and my mom sitting on a sled going down a hill together.
ReplyDeleteAny particular prayers requests? Love you!!!
ReplyDeleteHey there!! I love reading about your adventures in Alaska. :) Do you guys have an address where someone could send you a care package?? (I love to send care packages!!)
ReplyDelete