You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Saturday, February 5, 2011

To Be A Missionary

This weekend I was invited to a woman's retreat by one of the floor nurses. We met both Friday and Saturday at a local church and had a great time of fellowship. There I met some really fabulous and ambitious women my age. As we were getting acquainted before the service, we all started sharing our stories of where we were from and how we ended up in a place like Bethel. I noticed that most of us came here with a common theme, the desire to do mission work. Mostly medical, but often fueled with the heart of Christ.  Actually, a lot of the people I have met here have or are planning on going abroad to do some sort of missions. Some of the stories were quite amazing and many of the places I have never even heard of. For me, it has been such an encouragement to hear how God has directed the lives of others.

As I was listening to their stories this question kept running though my mind. What exactly is a missionary?  I mean does it have to be in the African jungles or in a far off isolated place? Does it mean not shaving my legs and wearing my pink dew rag (on our first date that's what I told Ian I was going to do...haha). I mean, really, we should be living our WHOLE LIFE as missionaries.  

As I was pondering this thought, my dear husband kept coming to mind. He lives his life ON A MISSION FIELD! When I first looked into Ian's eyes (bare with me a minute) I saw the eyes of Jesus and immediately felt love. I know this is kind of sappy, but really, he has the eyes of Christ and as a result everything and everyone he sees is through love.  He can abundantly give because of what he has allowed God to put in him. I just love that he has allowed Christ's love to be his all purpose garment.

When we first met, I was a very immature christian. Sadly, maybe not even one at all. I had prayed the prayer, but I had not TRULY died to sin and put on the new self. After our first date I really wanted to continue seeing him (even though he was still thinking about being a monk). But, as Ian was so in love with God, the only way I could know him better was to know Christ first.  You couldn't have one without the other.

His faith was a testimony and turning point in my life. You see, he was on the mission field in little old Battle Creek, Michigan. He didn't need a jungle, a foreign language, or a passport to witness to me.

So friends I encourage all of you to be a missionary in your life. In all that you say and do, people are watching. We all have the potential to change lives here and now through Christ. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.  Walk in wisdom towards outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious and seasoned with salt. Today, right now, in your very city you are the vessel that God has chosen to speak through. He will open the door, our job is to let him walk through it.  "Well done my good and faithful servant!"

Ian, if you are reading this tonight, I love you honey! Thanks for being a missionary in my life!

3 comments:

  1. Very moving and insightful. Just the message I needed today Sarah. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the same thing about my husband. He is the ultimate example to me here on earth, and leads so well. I also see Christ in him and he is a missionary wherever he goes. So thankful these guys can encourage each other!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah! Love reading your Blog. What a wonderful thing you and your husband are doing. Thinking of you and miss you! Becky K

    ReplyDelete