Unfortunately one of the pipes that contains the electrical wires had frozen and broken in half. This split the wires and hence our problem. However, the bigger issue was that the pipes were built underground at the airport, and since the permafrost is completely frozen, no one would be able to fix this anytime soon. And, supplies would need to be flown in from the nearest city, Anchorage, which is about 400 miles away.
Needless to say I spent my first 2 days in Aniak, camping. It was actually very fun. Ian and I played a lot of Scrabble and Risk by candlelight (he of course beat me at both) and ate almost our entire supply of chips and salsa. We ended up showering on the second day at the clinic, more out of necessity than want. In the bush you have to learn to be creative and just go with the flow. Things may take a little longer to get done here, but the adventure is very worthwhile.
On Saturday Ian and I were invited to ride snowmachines. We went about 30 miles round trip down the kuskokwim, into the woods, and into the open tundra. We found a beaver dam along one of the tundra tribuitaries and Ian was able to catch some airtime as he jumped this. Unfortunately once I got on we tipped over. The snow came up to our thighs so flipping a 1500 lb snowmachine was quite difficult.
| Riding in the Tundra |
Thankfully, on Sunday the electicity came back on and we were able to warm up. I spent the rest of the weekend cooking. On Monday I actually spent 6 hours in the kitchen trying to figure out bulk food preparation. Overall things turned out pretty good. Thanks to my friend, Angela, I now have some better ideas of how to not make rice too sticky and beans too mushy. Thanks Ang! I am trying to do most of the cooking on the weekend and have meals prepared in advance for the week. If anyone has any good vegetarian recipes, please send them my way!
I am about to finish my first week of work here in Aniak. So far things have been very smooth. We have been steady, not too busy, and no traumas yet, thankfully! This weekend we are thinking of having some friends over for a night of Risk, and Ian might be going out on Saturday to help a friend cut some wood. Settling in has been fun, you never know what the day will bring.
Also, I want to wish a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my Dad!!! He turns 64 tomorrow, Feb 25. Love you lots dad!
-Sarah
Each entry is another adventure for you guys! It sounds so amazing. A bit of jealousy here, but mainly happiness for you both on such a remarkable experience of a lifetime. Also, do you have an email address Sarah. I've been wanting to email you some questions and I'll look up some of my vegetarian recipes for you too. My email is afeyes@gmail.com. I'd love to hear from you.
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah! I really have been enjoying your blog posts. I miss you though! But it is an awesome adventure for you and a great thing that you are doing. Thanks for posting this blog and the pics -- it makes me feel like I'm with you!
ReplyDeleteThis recipe is very hearty, cheap, and easy with limited ingredients:
ReplyDeletePeanut Butter Pumpkin Soup
1. A little oil or butter to sautee
2. 1/2 onion (brown, white, or yellow)
3. Garlic (fresh or powdered)
4. 4-6C Veggie stock (consistency is your call)
5. 1 large can or 2 regular of Pumpkin
6. ~3/4 C creamy peanut butter (or to-taste)
7. Garam Masala (Indian cooking spice)
--> You can use Cumin + Corriander + Cinnamon + Pepper to-taste if you don't have this spice stocked
8. Hot chili, whole dried
--> Cayenne pepper to-taste will also work
Sautee 1-3 together. Add 5-6 and stir until smooth. Add 7-8. Cook until hot and until the spices have really flavored the soup. If you used whole chilis, remove them before eating. :-)
I like to serve it with sourdough, but I'm sure whatever you have on-hand is fine.
You really should have most of those spices (or the equivalents) in your cupboard, so you really just need a fresh onion, pumpkin, and peanut butter, which should be easy to find up there. :-)
Whoops! Step 2 was to add 4-6 and stir until smooth.
ReplyDelete