You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Finally, Aniak

I can now officially call myself a Bush Alaskan. Not only because I now have a permanent place of residence, but also because I traveled on a bush plane through a major snowstorm and didn't get sick. First though, let me start with the beginning of my week, that was actually very smooth.

I arrived in Emmonak, a costal village at the mouth of the Kuskokwim river right off the Bering Sea last Friday. During our flight in I actually saw a moose from the plane window! I arrived in the afternoon and saw a few patients at the clinic befor heading over for the town's Potlatch. A Potlatch is when the natives gather together and perform several ceremonial Eskimo dances. 


Arial view of Emmonak
Some of the dances have been passed down for generations, some are new, but they are all performed in remembrance of their ancestors and recently passed loved ones. In the background, the elders of the tribe use chants and drums to provide the rhythm of which the dance is performed. It was very cool and you could feel the pride they felt for their heritage.

For their dances, the natives dress in their traditional attire: homemade fur hats, belts, boots, etc. Their clothing and beading is just beautiful. I have been so impressed with their ability to utilize earth's resources. They can use just about any element, fur, or grass and create the most beautiful and functional things. In Emmonak, the women gather grass along the coast and make baskets. I don't have a picture of one, but the baskets are unbelievable. There is so much detail in them, it is hard to imagine that it was all done with grass and completely by hand.


Potlatch
I had dinner Tuesday night with a new friend, Jen, and her family. We met a few weeks ago in Bethel at the woman's retreat that I attended. Her husband, Austin, is a pastor in Emmonak and they moved up from New Jersey 4 years ago. It was really nice talking with them and hearing the stories of how God has used them here in Alaska. I just know that Ian and Austin would become fast and good friends if we lived closer (Emmonak to Aniak is about 300 miles)


I finished the rest of the week at the clinic then flew back to Bethel Thursday night.  Friday morning I left for the airport with great anticipation to see Ian. As a matter of fact, I had a very hard time sleeping the night before because I was so excited.

Unfortunately, when I got to the airport at 8:00 am, our flight was on weather hold due to fog and an impending blizzard. Gotta love flying in the bush! The funny thing is that every time I try to fly out of Bethel I get stuck, and every time I get stuck I end up receiving a great revelation from God. Friday I was able to finish the Old Testament and again I felt the power of God come alive in me. If you want to read about that, you can see my 2nd blog (website found at the top of this one, or you can go to http://hosannamylord.blogspot.com/, that's hosanna my lord all one word). I probably won't have that post up until tomorrow, though.

Thankfully, just after I finished reading Malachi, they gave the all clear and I was able to get on a 5:00 pm flight to Aniak. Even though the fog had lifted, the snow was really starting to come down hard. The pilot thought it was safe, though, so we all boarded. We actually had to take a caravan (a 10 seater) because we were also transporting supplies to the villages.

This was by far the worst flight I have been on. I actually found myself chanting the Jesus Prayer ("Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner")  as the plane was being whipped to and fro in zero visibility. We were doing up and down and the pilot's cockpit controls were blaring. NO JOKE!  I really thought we might crash (you couldn't see the ground at all) and I began confessing all my sins. Even though the pilots here are some of the best in the world, and flying in Alaska is actually safer than riding an ATV or snow machine,  I was not comforted.

Thankfully, though, Christ carried my plane to Aniak (after a quick drop off in Kalskag). I was so relieved to be on the ground that for a brief second I forgot all about seeing Ian. Usually I try to get "pretty" for him if I haven't seen him in a while, but this time I smelt like B.O. and sweat.  I think the scary flight over knocked all the pretty out of me.


Our snow chariot
He picked me up at the airport (picture to left) and we took the quad to our new house. When I walked in the apartment he had a "Welcome Home Sweets" sign up with lots of candles lit. The house looked and smelled amazing! He did such a great job unpacking, decorating, and cleaning. Everything was organized and put away so neatly... I know it must so have been a lot of work! Thanks, Ian!

If you like candles, check out Frontier Family Farms...they make the best homeade organic soy products!  www.frontierfamilyfarms.comThey are friends of ours who live in Marshall, Michigan. A super christian family!

Yesterday I went to bed so happy to finally be home! As a matter of fact, I kept waking up and looking at Ian.  I know, I know,...but I am just so in love with him and we have been apart so LONG! He is such a great husband and he gives me so much joy. (Jason, I can see your eyes rolling!)


Our Living Room
Anyway, I am extremely glad to be here and we are already having lots of fun. Last night we were even able to get in a few games on the Wii before our power went out.... and we are still without electricity (I am typing this at the clinic and its 2:40 pm).

Our Dining Room
Nevertheless, we have been cruising around Aniak in our quad and laughing at the good times that have begun. Aniak still feels like the right decision and now that I am back with Ian, things are finally complete. 

- Sarah


7 comments:

  1. Yey Sarah, you are home!!! It looks really awesome! How is Ian doing? We are all curious at how he is handling the rough Alaska.
    Hey! I remember that pink bag that sits on the quad behind Ian...haha
    Also, I posted on your second blog like a week ago so check it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! so glad you and ian are together again. the pictures are great and your stories and experiences are just wonderful, so glad you are keeping us all informed on your blessed life in alaska. so sweet that you wake up and look over at ian.....jason and i still hold hands while sleeping:) love and blessings to you both, will have to get the girls on skype soon so they can see you.....we went to Barney Live tonight, McClaine LOVED it!!!!!!!!!! i love you...you love me.....we're a happy family

    ReplyDelete
  3. The home looks great! Ian could get a second job as a housekeeper/interior decorator. I'm sure there's a huge market in Alaska for one. Ha ha. I'm glad God guided your plane safely home. That would have scared me to pieces. I'm happy Ian and you are back together safely and happily. May your journey in Alaskan continue to bring you two closer. Love you always Sarah Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    It is wonderful to see that all is well with you, your husband, and Christ. Its truly amazing the things Christ does in our lives, and how at times we are unsure of what he is doing. But in the end as you can confirm he had complete control and we are better because of it. May you continued to be blessed and may happiness follow you wherever you may go.

    best regards,

    Jonathan Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah...is there anything you need? Anything that doesn't weigh a thousand lbs. that is??? Let us know! Love the stories...so glad how God is using both of you!
    Love you!
    L & L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would that be My Utmost for His Highest on your coffee table? I think soooooooooooooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,
    I've really enjoyed following you on your blog since you've been gone from Bethel. I'm so happy for you that you are safely home with your husband. What a lovely reunion. It was so great meeting you and getting to know you while you were here. You are such a light in the darkness. Thank you for being an inspiration!Kelly Ingvalson (OB Clerk):)

    ReplyDelete