What an awesome day! Nine of us ladies and two men spent six hours together sewing little dresses for African and Nicaraguan children. This is the first time I have organized something like this and I must say that it went extremely well!
In a few weeks I am headed to Nicaragua on a medical mission trip. I have been with the team several times before and have always enjoyed serving with them. Much of the time is spent in orphanages and rural villages providing medical care. However, another large part of the trip is clothing the children. So, the idea came to me one day while I was sewing and thinking about my upcoming trip. Why not gather together with friends and have a sewing party?!
And hence today was born!
I work with all of the people who came today and my clinic graciously offered to let us use the conference room for our dress making celebration. I just think it is so awesome that everyone was eager to help. Stacy, in the above picture, even bought loads of brand new Old Navy clothing and shoes for me to take. THANKS, STACY!
Today we made a total of 22 dresses and I must say, they are absolutely adorable. As a matter of fact, it went so well that I am going to continue organizing similar events for other causes. There was so much selfless giving, joy, and peace cultivated today that I want it to continue on.
It was a real pleasure spending time with these women and having my mom there made it even more perfect. She was a real help with all of her sewing knowledge and her humor.
It truly feels good to serve others and when you do it among friends it is just that much sweeter. When like minded people get together you really can accomplish many good things.
And a big thank you to Dr. Hambleton (aka, Dr. Buttons and Bows) for making a last minute sewing dash to restock our ever dwindling supplies!
So, Nicaragua, here I come! And, I bring with me lots of beautiful dresses made with much love!
Thanks Ladies! I had so much fun!

What an amazing story and use of your talents! I am very impressed at your sewing skills and organizing such a terrific event. Have a safe and fun trip to Nicaragua. Much love!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you had a great time! I am glad your mom could be there to enjoy it with you. ~Beth Clark
ReplyDelete