You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Beauty of Juneau

 It has been a while since I have posted anything new, not because of any lack of new Juneau adventures, more because of them. We have really begun to get into a good routine here. Ian recently started his new job in behavioral health. Although he tries to run from this, this type of work always seems to find him.  He likes to say that he will have been in behavioral health for two years and they promised they will let him out soon, haha!



The best part is that we work right next door to each other so he can join me on my bike rides. Unfortunately about a month ago I had a major wipe out and had to get 8 stitches in my right knee. I was going down hill, hit a patch of ice and totally crashed. Thankfully I was wearing a helmet as I might have gotten more stitches in places other than my knee. Although I was prepared to do the suturing myself, my staff encouraged me to get outside help.

So, since the spill I have not biked to work (it really has taken me all this time to not only get my courage back but to be able to use my knee entirely). We are going to be getting studded tires soon as I still want to continue biking as much as possible.

We also have found some great skiing trails. The other week I went with a friend to the ski on the glacier. This was really cool until we hit some water and our skis froze. A little nerve racking, but my Juneau born friend ensured me that this was just run off from the stream and that the lake really was frozen...uh huh.





I have also re-found my love for sewing. Below are some recent projects. I am really getting into art quilting as your imperfections turn into masterpieces! It is great because I don't measure anything and just cut away. I made this Russian Orthodox church quilt for Ian, I was really proud of it.



You can't tell from the picture, but I even sewed on little beads for the door handles. The picture represents Alaska: the fireweed plants, ravens, rolling hills, sea and cliffs, and the Orthodox church.

As a matter of fact, I organized a ladies sewing day for the end of this month.  We are going to be making little dresses for African and Nicaraguan children. So far I have had a huge response and am really excited to  do this project. I came up with the idea as I am going on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua in January and will be taking the dresses we make with me.  A nurse that I work with even bought boxes of brand new Old Navy clothes and shoes for me to take! It was such a thoughtful gift!

We still love Juneau. There is so much to do (hiking, skiing, going to plays / theatre, etc) but also because this town does a lot to help others. We recently joined up for Big Brother / Big Sister and will soon be getting our Little.  Some may even say that this is our attempt to try out the kid thing (still not sure that we want one of our own yet) but mostly we are doing this because we really want to become more active in others lives. It is just too short not too.


I am still really enjoying my job. We see a lot of pathology so just when I thought I had this medicine thing figured out, I realize that I still have a lot of learning to do. Thankfully I am still able to use many of the skills I acquired in Aniak, just not the chest tubes or intubations, whew! That is one of the best things about my new job, I CAN SEND PEOPLE TO THE ER!!!!!! Yeah! My colleagues are super and I am really happy to be here.

My mom will be coming in two weeks and then we are headed to Pennsylvania for my brother, Blake's wedding. Soon I will have another sister to add to the family, Gretchen. She is absolutely wonderful, loves my brother very much, and has a true beauty radiating inside her. I cannot wait for her to be a Ringenberg and to have a new scuba diving partner!

Blessings!













4 comments:

  1. First off, I'm at thrilled to hear about Blake's exciting news! That was fast, but I know he didn't enter into that decision lightly and must be positive. How awesome and I did meet Gretchen once and she seems like a sweetheart! Sorry about your wreck and stitches. That had to have been scary, but being in a bigger city with more modern medicine has to ease the mind. Love the quilting art work! Who would have ever thought you and I would end up sewing like our mommas? I gave you rave reviews for your reference to Big Bro/Big Sis so hopefully that works out well. Much love being sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I am glad you are doing well and that Juneau has grown on you :) I miss you here in Aniak! So much has happened in our lives, some good and a lot of changes...
    Please send me an email, so I may email back to you. Thank you and God bless.
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ian and Sarah!!
    I hope you are all doing well! Juneau looks absolutely breathtaking! I hope you are staying warm! Tell Ian hello and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

    Rebecca Ward

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    I am interested in your “Alaska Onion Domes” quilt. Do you sell them?
    Andrea Gusty
    andreagusty@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete