5 different planes, 6 cities, and 29 hours later I finally made it to Nicaragua! I met most of the team in Chicago and then we flew together to Miami and then on to Managua. Thankfully all of my luggage made it safely. After all, I very important cargo.....52 little dresses and bunches of clothes to deliver!
It has been wonderful reconnecting with many of the returning team and meeting new faces as well. They come from all over the US: Illinois, Michigan, North Carolina, Indiana, and Ohio. We have an OB/GYN, a dermatologist, a gastroenterologist, a pediatrician, and myself in family practice. We also have many nurses and layman working in ropa (clothing) making a total of 20 team members.
| Los Cedros |
Tomorrow the work begins. We have much to do in preparation for the next 10 days, unpacking and sorting all of the clothing/shoes and beginning to organize the medications. For me, though, it doesn't seem like work at all, I really do enjoy it. It just feels right.
There is something indescribable for me about medical missions. It feels like I am home. As soon as we came to the orphanage I found myself breathing slower and consumed in peace. I am enjoying Juneau and my current job, but honestly, I believe that this is what I was made for.
Sure, the showers have zero pressure and are cold. And, you cannot drink the water and may end up sleeping with a gecko, but hey, that is what makes it fun, right? My face has never been dirtier, no amount of deodorant will cover up my sweaty smell, and yes, my leg hair is l-o-n-g, but i just love it!
It both blesses and amazes me that amidst the poverty, I continually find some of the most grateful, generous, and joyful people. Nicaragua is the 2nd poorest country in the western hemisphere, second only to Haiti. I am actually headed to Haiti this summer (as long as work approves) with a pharmacist that I met three years ago on my first Nicaragua trip.


Well, it took me 3 hours to load these pictures. I had intentions to add a lot more but I am tired, sweaty and ready for a good nights sleep. On a more positive note, I was able to skype Ian tonight. Pretty cool that some 6,000 miles away I not only get to hear his voice but also see him! But, for those of you Juneau-nites could you maybe have him over for dinner? My pseudo bachelor has been living off of left over potatoes that I made before I left (I think this is night 3 of having them) and PB & J, haha.
January 21
We have arrived in Jinotego at the next orphanage. This one is quite a bit of fun as we actually get to spend much more time playing with the children. There is a large open gym in the center of the orphanage where the children rollar skate and play games. I wish Ian was here, he is so good at children's games. We also get to eat dinner with them. The language barrier is a little difficult, so I am DETERMINED to learn spanish this time when I get home.
We spent all afternoon sorting out the ropa (clothing) and medicines. I was really proud of our little dresses and many of the orphans / Nicaraguan interpreters were commenting on how cute they were (Go Juneau!) It means so much to me that many of the colleagues I work with dedicated so much time and money into making these dresses. I was getting all emotional when I started unpacking them. Finally being here with all the anticipation almost brought me to tears. Thanks Michelle, Magil, Rachel, Willie, Kim, Dan, Mike, Melissa, Stacey, Ethan, Mom!
As we were sorting all of the donations I was thinking how I was going to try to make a difference on this trip. The answer came tonight when we all gathered together after dinner to discuss the day. It is not how "I" can make a difference but how "We" can together. The synergy that unites and passes through us is what creates the changes. Loving our fellow man together is powerful.
When the conscious understands that we truly are all one, we realize that our power is not in the differences that separate us, but comes from the love that unites us. During this trip as I seek to fully engage with my fellow team members I know that together our synergy of love will create lasting changes. So in preparation for the first clinic tomorrow I am going to meditate on this:
In a world that often stands up for "I", I am determined to be a voice for "We."
Sarah
Sarah







It sounds like a life changing trip Sarah. Very inspiring. I've often wanted to do a mission trip, but with little ones at home can't bring myself to do so. I'm thinking maybe when they're older we can go as a family. I thought of this blog while watching one of my students read a story on the computer yesterday. It was pretty much the story of "The Little Engine That Could," but instead of one engine they worked together to climb the hill change the "I think I can" to "We think we can." Finally it ended with "We knew we could." I personally liked the "we" version better. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing you at Blake and Gretchen's wedding.
ReplyDeleteI am very thankful for you and the joy and love you give. I like the message of we and the synergy that happens when people work together. You have a heart for this work.
ReplyDeleteWe are looking forward to seeing you at the wedding in a few weeks.
Love,
Aunt Lorie