It is nice to have friends.....especially ones with their own air plane! Two of the doctors that I work with (famously called the Benjamins, Brian and Mimi) took Ian and I out flying last weekend. We went to the little village of Skagway first and had lunch, then hopped over to Haines.
Brian has been flying for almost 5 years, so practicing medicine in Juneau with its abundance of beautiful airspace has been wonderful for him and his wife. As in the clinic, his take offs and landings were also very smooth. Although, being very accustom to small 4 seater airplanes and bush flying, Ian and I had no reservations anyway.
Thankfully we also had a 5 day stretch of much anticipated and needed sun, so the views from above were spectacular! As a matter of fact, the blue skies made an awe-inspiring contrast to the white mountain caps and green tree lined bottoms.
Alaska has a deep place in my heart, if you haven't experienced it yet, its hard to explain or capture on film. Its not just the beauty that captivates, but the UNTOUCHED sacredness of it all as well; many of the stalwart mountain peaks and glaciers have never seen the foot of man. I often wonder what this place would have looked like before its man made face lift. I can see why the natives draw a lot of pride from their lands. Even though I am a fairly new Alaskan myself, I have begun to develop it as well.
It seems the more I experience the vast wonder here, the closer I feel to the Creator and to others. Although it may be rock, ice, and earth, I feel connected to it somehow. Because in reality, I am made of this same "earth" anyway, so it makes sense to me that I should have a relationship with it and be able to draw from its energy.
This is one such glacier seen from an aerial view. The peaks and turns danced across the landscape and fell into the earth below in a striking display of grace and power.
Speaking of glaciers, yesterday I went on a 6 hour (8 mile) hike to the Herbert Glacier with two of my friends, Rebecca and Mary....two souls who match Ian and I so closely. Despite some drizzle, we had a exceptional time. The trail head started about 20 miles outside of Juneau and headed deep into the heavily forested mountains. Open glacier fed lakes, streams, and waterfalls painted the majestic landscape, really creating for not only an enjoyable hike, but a spiritual experience with nature as well.
Coming closer to our destination, the snow lined trail began to show hints of the characteristic glacier blue color. Where once a white footprint had penetrated the trail, a now bluish hole remained.
At this opening across from the glacier we stopped and had lunch, which of course was washed down with tea. Mary and Rebecca are also avid tea lovers. As a matter of fact, Rebecca started a tea shop in Utah and is quite the tea epicure, personally gathering her teas from all over the world.
Perhaps, though, the most enjoyable part of the experience was talking with such meaningful friends; sharing together the wonders of nature and life. Although I have a tendency to want to stay inside, watch a movie or sew, once outside, reconnecting with nature, I quickly remember that this beauty was created for me to enjoy. And enjoy I did!
As we were taking, hiking, and looking around in amazement, I could almost hear the Creator's chuckles...you haven't seen anything yet!
Be kind to others, look for the blessings, and enjoy your journey -
Sarah
|
I would have to find an excuse..to be outside as much as I could living there. So beautiful!!! Tell Ian hello from the Wards! I hope you are doing well too Sarah!
ReplyDeleteRebecca
What another truly amazing adventure you two have been on! For those that need proof of God's existence, they just need to see some of the wonders of nature that you've been witnessing. Much love!
ReplyDelete