We arrived late Friday night and even though we didn't make the rehearsal wedding itself, we did make the dinner! It was so good to see my families: the Ringenbergs, the Nieckos, the Clements and to finally meet the Hornings (Gretchen's family).
One of the things that I love most about my family is that it's DNA has grown. The Niecko's are as much a part of me as they are too my parents. And, Susie's family has become another extension of not just family but friends. I have come to think it normal that all the in-laws would hang out together outside of weddings and holidays, because they often do!
So, walking into the rehearsal dinner with not only my parents there, but also my in-laws, and Jason's in-laws was not a surprise, but very much expected! We love our families!!!
In meeting Grethen's parents and sister for the first time, I see why Blake chose her for a wife. We are so happy to have them as part of our expanding family and know that they will become as close to us as the others.
In keeping with the family theme, one of the highlights was seeing my mother's brothers and their wives. I have not seen my uncle Butch for over 10 years and my uncle Bill for almost 25. It has always been sad to me that the Wallace's are not the best at keeping in touch. For this reason much of my mother's history is a mystery.
However, time did not create a distance in my heart. I was brought to tears when I saw them, it was such a wonderful joy to have them come and though short, a blessing to see them again.
And, of course it was great to see all of the Ringenberg's, I swear my aunt's don't age (you look good too uncle Steve, Tom, and Paul, but your wives take the cake)! They came from all over the country, far and wide for Blake and Gretchen's big day. This is one thing that I am truly grateful for, their efforts to always be a part of our lives. I think it was something that they learned from my grandparents, to always value and foster the relationships with each other as we grow.
This theme has been heavy on my heart since coming back from Nicaragua, we NEED family and community. We were not created to be alone. Aside from the obvious joy of bearing witness to two people making a covenant to each other, being in a room with so many people that I love is what really gave me a sense of belonging.
And, this sense of community was not only about DNA, it was about long friendships as well. The person I have known the longest outside of my own family drove the 10 hours to support Blake as well. Amanda really is special in so many ways. She has always remained steady, supportive, and true to our friendship. It was so fun catching up with her busy life a a special ed teacher, wife, and mother of two. We also enjoyed discussing our many ways of recycling, saving the whales, and trading vegetarian recipes. I just love you, Amanda!
In addition, Ian got to do the communion and say a Hebrew blessing over Blake and Gretchen during their ceremony. It was very meaningful for both my parent's and hers and I was extremely proud of him up there.
Like I expected their wedding was small, intimate and very meaningful. As Gretchen came down the isle, Blake was all smiles and I think even teary. You will never have to question if they love each other. She is extremely devoted and I know that Blake is going to take his role as a husband very seriously.
After the ceremony the wedding guests were shuttled to a near by lake and we sent off Chinese dragon lanterns. Once the hot air filled the lantern, they slowly lifted into the air. You were then supposed to say a prayer.
Amanda and I had a little trouble getting ours going, but eventually it did and we sent it off with a prayer. It was really pretty seeing all of these lanterns in the sky. Thankfully they were also biodegradable!
The simplicity of the day was also refreshing. Sometimes I wonder if we associate the over materialization of weddings and holidays with more meaning. It seems that now-a-days everything has gotten larger. But are super super size fries and a 2X milkshake really that good? I will speak for myself and for what I have experienced (and really, am not judging anyone), but from what I notice, meaning is really found in the intangibles: love, joy, peace, community. Of course, these intangibles can and often do manifest physically, but even when the physical is gone, the intangible will always remain. This why more stuff, bigger homes, etc will never equate with the pure things like love, joy, and peace.
An example of this would be my grandmother. I really loved her, especially towards the end of her life. When I took the time to get to know her as a person and not just as a grandmother I really developed a true love and enjoyment from her. However, even though she passed, I still feel the same. My intangible love and joy from her still exist...those did not die! And, although the necklace that I have of hers is meaningful, I don't need this to remember those feelings...they are stored in my heart and mind for eternity.
So, after my whirlwind travel month of some 12,000 mile (bad carbon foot print) I have circled around to find this: meaning is found in the small stuff that is intangibly large.
-Sarah
What a wonderful post Sarah! The wedding was truly a wonderful time. You stated it well on how the intangible part is what was most important. Blake and Gretchen's wedding was small and not over the top, but the feeling of love just exuded throughout the ceremony and reception. Not just romantic love, but the love of family and friendship. I am so blessed to have been a part of this special day. I am so thankful to,have been able to spend time with both you and Ian as well. You may be far away physically, but you're always close by in my heart and that is priceless.
ReplyDeleteIt was our pleasure to meet you both. Many Blessings. Here's some more pics.
ReplyDeletehttp://ringenberghorningwedding.shutterfly.com/