Happy Birthday to Ian and Happy BIRTHday to Dianne (after all, she is the one who actually did all the work on April 18, 1978)
I can honestly say that one of the best things about moving way out into the middle of nowhere is that I get to spend so much time with Ian. We really are together 24/7 between work, home, or play. Each day I look forward to our personalized two man "carpool" to work on the quad. Our routine doesn't change very much: I get on first, scooch back and forth with my rump to clear the frost from the seat, Ian then takes his running one legged leap onto the quad (somewhat like a cowboy would do), once on he adjusts his hat and goggles (I often wonder why this isn't done earlier), kicks it into first gear, and off we go!
The only real change of scenery on the way to work comes in the darkness of burying my face into the back of his hood (usually done to protect my face from the wind).
I know I would miss this if we ever leave.
Just the other night we were talking about how good of a decision it was to move out here. I know it has taught us both a lot about ourselves, renewed our walk with God, and most definitely strengthened our marriage.
This is Ian's birthday breakfast, his favorite pancakes. Today he can officially say he really is 34...for the last year he honestly forgot how old he was and thought he was 34, turning 35. After some quick math, though, we figured out that indeed he was younger than he thought!
Ian is an exceptional husband and his closeness with the Lord has been the greatest source of strength and encouragement that I have ever known. I attribute my falling back into love with Christ to him and will always be thankful that he continued to nurture me as I sought this more excellent way.
Here is a picture from Easter Sunday. We had a small sunrise service on the dike followed by a brunch at the church. Despite the coldness and wind the sunrise was just beautiful, a reminder that God indeed does have his hand here as well.
As a matter of fact, I was really encouraged later that day. So often our messages on Easter Sunday only focus on the death / resurrection and then for some reason just stop. Although this is important, I often leave church (as I did this past Sunday) thinking "and now what?" What does this mean for me now?
When I got home I was actually a little depressed! Go figure, on Easter Sunday!! So, I decided to just close my eyes and be with God a little. As I listened to my music I realized this: his death and resurrection is not the end of his story, it is the beginning to a new life.
You see, Jesus was special. He already knew and had experienced what was waiting for him on the other side. And, he came to show us the way to this truth, and how to have this ABUNDANT life……This is what the resurrection means, it is a means to a new and POWER filled life.
And he did all this to yes, forgive me of my sins, but ALSO (and I believe ultimately) to be a pattern for a new life. By his example he revealed to us a real power that can change and release us to REALLY live. For the hope set before him he endured…..the hope! Not the immediate removal of the pain, but the hope and the joy laid before him, the promise of being with the father. He is the resurrection of a story that was meant to continue.
So now what?.......This means that everyday can be the most fruitful day of my life. Being a Christian doesn’t mean that I am exempt from suffering, pain, misfortune, it means that my RESPONSE to it can be different….I have a power, a living joy, and a real hope set before me……..and the awesome thing is that nothing rivals this throne.
So, the real question isn't if I will someday cry out, "Lord, Lord" (Matthew 7:21). I know for certain that I will. The real question is if he will he know me or not. Have I allowed his power to change me or is my belief in his death and resurrection in vain? Instead of "show me the money" we should be screaming "show me the power!"
Is my salvation a means to an end or is it a way to experience the new life that Jesus the Christ came for? I I often think we make only heaven the goal of our salvation. But making this the pinnacle of our walk is dangerous …rather, the end should be the at-onement with the father and a life changing power filled existence. Even if "heaven" was in the streets of Calcutta, being a lover of God means that you would follow him anywhere because just being with him IS your heaven, the streets of gold are just an effect of the source. Heaven is where he is, not a place void of his presence.
So the salvation message is this: it is the power to save me from envy, jealously, anger, gossip, greed, etc and enable me to freely live right now in a constant state of love and joy, independent of anything the world says. It is a power that makes everyday a resurrection Sunday.
So let your hope rise anew each day as you look to Jesus the founder and perfecter of your faith and let his life be the beginning of your new chapter.........
Happy Birthday Ian! It has been a pleasure to get to know you and be a part of our family while living in oklahoma! You are a blessing! I am so glad to always read the positive things that go on in both your lives. This has been a great adventure for both of you in Alaska...and you will always remember this and be grateful for it!
ReplyDeleteRebecca Ward