You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

And We Moved!



Well, we now have a new home. It is smaller and a little older, but much more cozy and quiet. After many long sleepless nights (mostly impart to the constant dogs barking, racing snowmachines, and intoxicated community members) we decided to move across town. Ian did purchase a white noise maker and some ear plugs, but since the move, we have yet to take either out of their boxes.  And, that satellite on our roof, yeah, it is only for aesthetic appeal. 

  
Most importantly, though,  I now have my own sewing room! This is by far my favorite part of the house, my very own sewing hide-away. Thanks to my friend, Amanda Feyes, back home I was even inspired to make my own curtains . So, the first project in my new room was putting together 6 new curtains. I have become a real Martha Stewart out here, guys! 




The hardest part of the move (and moving is NEVER fun let me tell ya) was trying to find a place for our 500 lb treadmill. This thing was a beast to move. We had to recruit our good friend, Brett to help us maneuver it into the house; the only place besides our living room that it would fit was the spare bedroom. So, if any of you come to visit us you have two choices for sleeping 1) on the treadmill or 2) with the treadmill.  No actually, I am kidding, we have a little place upstairs in my sewing room that could fit someone comfortably. You will just have to sign in for a time slot as I may be busy on my next sewing project....my good friend Laurie is expecting a little girl this August. Yeah Laurie!




As an added bonus, our little house is directly behind the clinic, shortening our work commute to about 25 steps. This will be especially nice in the winter when temperatures reach -50.....our shoulders are just now, 6 months later, healed from pull starting the quad all winter long. 



It kind of feels like a little country vacation nestled in the woods with all the trees and wildlife. We have a family of moose that live next door, but they seem to be respectful of our designated quiet hours and most definitely do not have an alcohol problem.  


Even in our new house,  Ian has once again reclaimed his throne! 




In other news, Aniak has successfully dodged yet another flood. In a way we were kind of sad that the river break up didn't come over the dike and flood. It would have been fun to see the Kuskokwim flow into our back yard. In any event, though, it was still fun to see all the ice crashing together as it hurriedly drifted onto the next village. 

I know it may not appear to be all that thrilling and pretty dirty (which it is), but to be there watching and hearing the river moving is pretty dynamic. Sometimes the ice will rise 4-5 feet as its layers pile up. 








This weekend we had some beautiful 60 degree weather so Ian and I took a long walk along the dike.  About half way we ran into our good friend, Randy.  This weekend we are going camping with him at his nearly finished cabin up river. He started building it last summer and assures us that soon it will be equipped with running water. For now, though, we will be roughing it in his wall tents (although those are actually pretty nice also).



 

 
 




 
Although the salmon runs will not start until next month, people have already been out boating. We have yet to go out unto the river, but next weekend that will all change as we head 25 miles up river to Randy's. This last picture was taken while on our walk. As you can see even the dogs are "winterized" here. Although it looks nice, the water is still only 35-40 degrees, kind of like a giant ice cube water bath.
 

Ian continues to thrive at work. There have been a lot of changes in his department. Behavioral health continues to challenge and stimulate him. Fortunately, as he shares his learning with me I have found myself developing much deeper as well.  His insight still amazes me and he continues to build trust with all those that he sees. I am really proud of him and all that he has accomplished here. 

My job remains busy, also. I am back to being the only provider for several hundred miles. This can seem very daunting at times, but I really am developing a strong sense of confidence and peace. We did have a suicide two weeks ago. That is never easy, especially when I have to come onto the scene. The struggles are real here, but there are people who continue to retain hope. 

One such person is Ayla. I have kind of adopted her as a little sister and have been doing weekly bible studies with her for the past couple of weeks. She is an exceptionally tender soul who really wants to live for God.  At times when I start to feel overwhelmed she is a constant reminder of why I am really here and the purpose that I should have. 



The other day she stopped by and gave us this heart shaped rock with a very sweet card.  She said it reminded her of Ian and I and that she was glad we were here. It really was a tender blessing.


Next week Ian and I head back to Michigan for his niece, Chelsea's wedding, and then off to Scotland with my parents and brother Blake.  Blake just finished graduate school with a Masters of Counseling, and this trip was a gift from my parents for all of his hard work. Not bad, huh?

Although I am proud of his accomplishments, watching him grow into this wonderfully, talented, sincere person really is the greatest joy.  Although he will always be the "little brother" he really has become a man that I admire.  Congrads again, Blake! And thanks for graduating....we are really excited about Scotland!


Blessings - 
Sarah





4 comments:

  1. The new home looks very cozy! I'm glad to read I could inspire you to do some sewing. I have a few sewing projects up my sleeve for this summer as well. The pictures of Alaska are breathtaking. It has to be amazing to go camping there. I am so proud of little Blakers too! Although I always hear him running around saying, "Neener neenert!" Enjoy Scotland. It's on my to do list one day. God's blessings on you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love to read your stories and see you living life to the fullest! You have a way of helping and inspiring everyone you come into contact with. I know you certainly had a lasting effect on our family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your new home is cute and cozy!

    Rebecca Ward

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are so glad to see that things are going well for you,sure does look beautiful over there.hope you all keep safe over there miss ya.

    ReplyDelete