You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Saturday, March 31, 2012

My Treasure Is Alive


Here is a video of the start to our journey back home.....



What a great week home! We left a very cold -38 degrees to find ourselves welcomed into a warm and sunny Michigan 75.  Even though we spent almost 24 sleep deprived hours to find it, it was well worth the travel.  


Still, the best part of our trip isn't only about just great weather, as a matter of fact, it doesn't even start or end with it.......our trip was all about our treasures.

Love, friendship, charity, kindness, and acceptance are just a few examples of the treasures that I found on this trip. 

Our first treasure came in the form of four: Jon, my parents, and Niecko, Ian's nephew.  Upon our arrival at Detroit airport we were embraced by love:  my parents arms wrapped around me and the one- of-a- kind "skin so soft" aroma of Jon were a very real reminder of how deep it ran.  

And, as I watched Niecko cling tightly to Ian I knew and felt just how blessed we really are. 



To begin our weekend the Niecko's had a family dinner courtesy of Bri and her new husband, Tarek. I made this quilt for her and my new niece (who is expected in June). When I started sewing it I had no idea who it was for, then when Bri told us she was expecting a little girl I knew it had been for her all a long. I really had a great time putting this together, and was very excited to finally give it to her.

Although our time was short with them, it was really good to see her and to finally meet Malek their firstborn.  They are an adorable family (especially since Bri manages to remain very fashionable despite being 7 months pregnant!) and I count them all as new treasures in my life.



Some of you may not know that Ian has an older brother, Scott.  He and his family also joined us for our "Niecko" gathering. We really enjoy Scott with his sharp mind and witty humor.  He also has a great family with two brilliant girls and a very sweet wife.  

 
Here I am with my Niecko sisters, Bri and Orianna. Never having sisters of my own, their friendship and place in my life are most definitely counted as a treasure.  Although Ian and I have only been married for 2 years (we just celebrated #2 on March 14) I immediately felt close to Bri and Orianna, like we had really been sisters all along.


Speaking of long lost brothers, here is Jay, Orianna's husband. He and Orianna have been together since the age of 14 so Jay has been a major figure in Ian's life. I really admire his patience and demeanor, you just gotta love Jay.



Evi and Niecko, Ian's niece and nephew (and mine too of course)......so different in personality, but still all love. Evi is quite the non-fiction reader and could very well end up being a scientist someday. She likes museums and often takes notes about the exhibits while there. I find her enthusiasm for knowledge a blessing and really enjoy watching her grow.

Niecko on the other hand is quite the lover. He is always good for a bear hug and never will you leave him feeling unloved or unappreciated. He is good for the ego...smile smile.



This is Orianna, Ian's older sister. She is probably the most thoughtful person that I know. She has a very sensitive spirit for others and would do anything for anyone. I really appreciate her presence in our life, and count not only her charity but her thoughtfulness as treasures as well.



But of course, non of the above would be possible without these two: Dianne and Jon. Papa Jon as I like to call him has a true calling on his life. Having had several near death experiences himself, I KNOW that he is here for a reason. His life reminds me of two books, "The Five People You Will Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom, and "The Giving Tree," because he blesses everyone that he touches in some way and never stops giving to others.

And, Dianne, who I am eternally grateful to for bringing me Ian (after all it was her doing that brought us together) is smart, hard working, and also very compassionate for others. I see so many of her wonderful qualities in her children and know that she is a real treasure to the Niecko family.






As a daughter, I understand the treasure of having a good mom. And it isn't just the learning to sew, mend, cook, or tend to children. It's about having a role model to look up to for the rest of your life. Seeing her tenderness played out, watching her console during painful and difficult times, and learning by her example how to unselfishly put your family. I sit here today counting their grace and mercy as real treasures.







I had a wonderful time with my dad while home. He now owns Silverbrook nursing home in Niles, Michigan and I was doubly blessed when asked to come and speak to the residents about Alaska.

I was thankful to find that he has some wonderful employees and residents with him there. You could tell that there was a spirit of community and love at Silverbrook, it felt very much like a home. I was able to speak to many of the residents, and I would have loved to spend more time hearing their stories.

They even donated blankets, crafts, beads, gloves, and hats to the people of Aniak.  At an elders lunch we played bingo (also donated by the residents of Silverbrook) and gave their donations as prizes. They really enjoyed this and we had many laughs as we played. I would like to thank them again for their charity and thoughtfulness, you are among the treasures in my life.



Still, I would have to say the biggest blessing of the day was hearing all the compliments about my dad. It isn't often that I get to follow him to work and hear firsthand what others think of him. Needless to say, I was very proud of him that day.

Time and time again I heard from his employees and residents what a kind and thoughtful man he is. Several of the patients appreciated how he prayed with them, brought them coffee each morning, and did daily devotions. My dad maybe a treasure down here, but I know he has built a real treasure for himself in heaven.



One day we all took a walk to Thurston Woods Park in Sturgis. It was a beautiful sunny day and I really enjoyed being with everyone. Even Yedi, our new addition enjoyed her walk. Unfortunately my younger brother Blake couldn't make it home from South Carolina, but I know that he was with us in spirit.





This is Susie, my brother Jason's wife, and their girls, Micah and McClaine. Susie has been in my life since her and Jason started dating in High School. She really is a sister in all regards and I just love her so much. I really appreciate her love for God and for her sincerity with people. Her beauty on the inside radiates outside and she is a wonderful role model for her girls.



Jason is not only an excellent brother, but a wonderful dad. He has always been a treasure in my life. As a matter of fact I once wrote in my diary (almost 15 years ago) that he was my best friend. Regardless of his busy schedule, he will always make time to listen to you and offer good advice.





Meet McClaine. We like to call her Sassy, but she is truly sweet.  Her and her older sister, Micah, went in front of the congregation Sunday at church and recited bible verses for their Mimi and Papa. I was so proud of them! They are precious treasures in my life and a constant reminder to keep the child like faith.



And big sister Micah is not only a voracious reader, but a good conversationalist as well. Sometimes I forget that she is only in 2nd grade. A niece and very much a friend, she is a shiny jewel in my treasure box.





I had to throw these pictures in here.....I won't say who won, only that it wasn't my husband or my dad. I guess that the "great white hope" of Aniak just couldn't compete with the original. But, I will say that all 3 of them did have some mad skills. I think, though, that Ian's giant beard may have clouded his vision of the net.

However, my "family" runs much deeper than blood, and my treasures are not only found there.

On Tuesday I made a trip to DayOne, my old workplace, and got a chance to catch up with many of my colleagues (unfortunately I didn't get a picture, but you can check out their website, dayonehealthcare.com if interested).  They have so many good and thoughtful people working there, it makes me miss being around them. Even though the architecture of the clinic has changed, the smiles and warmth are the same. I count them all as important people in my life and in my development as a clinician. That day I was reminded of the 50+ treasures that I have in Battle Creek.

And Dr. Galonsky, you can thank me for that earlier plug next time....haha!

Speaking of friends, I was able to catch up with several. Amanda, probably my longest friend brought her two girls over to play. She really is an exceptional mother and friend. She just hasn't changed....still thoughtful, slow to anger, and kind. Through all the years, I am so very blessed that she has remained in my life, a real treasure.







These are Amanda's girls Mia and Olivia, with my niece McClaine.



Like her mother, Olivia, is quite an artist. She painted me this picture before I left. Thanks again, Oliva, I just love it!



Thankfully my two grad school buddies Jacklyn and Melissa took time out of their busy schedules to meet me at Panera for some dinner. It was so good to hear about their work, families, and life. Despite the distance, getting together again felt just like old times.

Ian and I also met up with some of his old college buddies for dinner. They made the long drive from Mt. Pleasant and Ann Arbor to see us. It was really good to have a time of fellowship with them and hear about  how God is moving in their lives. This is John Paul, our godson, who we haven't seen in quite some time. His parents Dave and Tereza were one of the couples that came down to visit. Although we knew he was cute from Skype, seeing him in person only proved it.



And finally, before we left we stopped by Detroit and took our two friends, Rudy and Ashley out to lunch. We met them through Ian's mom and have felt a special connection with them ever since. Even though they have had some difficult times in life, they both remain positive and faithful to God. We really appreciate their efforts to persevere and count them as treasures in our life.

Ian's college friend, Terry also came and joined us.  Terry might even be considering a move to Alaska next year! This was the first time that I met him, and I really enjoyed his cheerfulness.



So after all of this and all these pictures (thanks for making it this far in the blog!) what can I say? 

MY TREASURE IS ALIVE! This was such a strong theme in my time home. Looking back I am so blessed. I know that no physical elements could ever compare with the experiences and spiritual connections that I have with my family and friends.

Although the dead material things may temporally give me happiness, the real living joy that lasts comes from above, within, and among community with others. Never again will I consider myself poor when I have all of this treasure surrounding me. 




And although I am back in Aniak (here is a picture of the drive to the airport) I am left with a sweet aroma of my time back home......thanks to all of you who have enriched my life beyond compare. 

- Sarah



















1 comment:

  1. I can't begin to express how great it was too see you both! I also can't believe how much you packed into your days back in the mitten. Your writing just truly epitomizes what are the true treasures in life, people, not material possessions. I will probably refer back to this post, the next time I get the urge to go on a shopping spree. It was great seeing you and catching up. I am so glad you made it back to Alaska safe and sound. Much love!

    ReplyDelete