You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Friday, November 4, 2011

Maui / Molokai part 2

Well, our Hawaii vacation has come to an end. In addition to the sun, I had the most wonderful time with Ian. It was like re-living our honeymoon all over again.  I even made him stop by our original honeymoon hotel, I was feeling nostalgic, what can I say?

Two of the highlights on the trip was scuba diving and our Molokai hike. The scuba dive was phenomenal! I got down to over 70 ft and the visibility was great. It felt like I was swimming in a giant aquarium filled with miles of brightly colored coral.  At one point I was swimming with a school of  at least 200 fish, unbelievably cool.   I tried to keep my buoyancy and be very still as to not disturb or startle any of the animals. Thankfully I was able to and therefore was able to swim very close to the fish.  I could have touched them most of the time....it was just amazing




This is the beginning our our hike down to the Leper colony in Molokai. It was a 3.2 mile hike covering 1664 ft in elevation, it was not easy!

The serpentine trail hugged the cliffs and boasts some of the most beautiful views of the island. Even though it was physically demanding, it was really fun exploring with Ian. On the way down we also encountered a herd of midget mountain goats. It was pretty cool to see them up close in the natural habitat. Unfortunately we were not fast enough to get any pictures.

However,  what hike would be complete without a little surprise? As we were just about finished a dark ominous cloud decided to open up on us.  Even though Ian and I were completely drenched when we finally made it to the end, we were still two very happy hikers.    

This is outside of Father Damien's church.  Although little was known about how leprosy was contracted or spread, the physical disfigurement was no secret. In an attempt to contain and limit its spread, the Hawaiian government sent anyone with the disease away to this isolated part of the island. From the late 1800's to the mid 1940's thousands of lepers were dropped off and quarantined here. Apparently there are still 10 lepers living in the tiny village. 

Ian is standing in front of Father Damien's grave. Out of compassion for the people and his devotion to God, this Catholic priest spent the remaining years of his life converting this "death village" to a community. Unfortunately he contracted leprosy after 15 years of serving and died with the people he loved so much. It was a very touching story. 

Behind us is the drop off location for the people. Our guide told us that often people were not taken to shore, they were literally dropped off in the ocean and expected to swim or die. 


Kalapapua, the leper colony.

And we made it back up!
Here is a little secluded beach we found on the west side of Molokai. We were the only people on this beautiful beach. 



My Hawaiian Princess.


So, here we are back in Anchorage. A cold winter storm welcomed us and gave us a 20 degree hug. Snow is prevalent, and so is our thankfulness for a wonderful trip. 


- Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Your wonderful stories continue! I'm am in awe of all your adventures and the world you are seeing. I know there is so much more out there in the world, but don't ever venture far from our little home town. May you two keep each other warm back in Alaska!

    ReplyDelete