This morning Ian and I went for a 4 mile ski and we learned that there are actually several ways of making icicles. Some of the different types, at least here in Alaska, are hat-cicles, eyelash-cicles, and lastly but most importantly snot-cicles. The weather is cold (go figure) but when I say cold I mean like -30 degrees cold even with the sun. So, forming any of the above is actually quite easy.
In an attempt to get more exercise I have been skiing to work everyday. The 1 mile trek doesn't take that long, and it is actually very relaxing.
Aniak has several trails into the woods and mountains that would make any skier jealous. Ian and I are anxious to safely explore them all. Actually, on Thanksgiving morning, in preparation for the afternoon carb loading, about 5 of us skied a 5 mile trail. We call ourselves the Aniak Ski Club, even if we are all middle aged and slightly out of shape, we persevere through the elements.
Here is an example of the eyelash-cicles....Fortunately Ian wiped away the the cicles found proximal to the nose.
So this picture is not recent, but I wanted to put it in the blog anyway. About 2 months ago Ian and I went with our good friends to their fish camp and helped them winterize. On our way back we caught a beautiful sunset (along with a moose grabbing a drink in the river) that was definitely picture worthy.
As some of you may have heard, Thanksgiving this year was the close of a very sad and long week. In just two weeks, our little village lost two people under the age of 32. One of which was a friend and colleague who froze to death. I have heard that the incident made the USA Today News, but here in Aniak we were all shocked by this tragedy to such a sweet person. She was only 21 and leaves behind a 14 mo old son.
As the only medical provider for the last two weeks (and for about 400 miles), I was at both incidents and along with a full schedule at work, was both physically and emotionally drained come Thanksgiving. The hardest part about my job is wanting so desperately to help and save lives, but knowing that sometimes after you have done everything you can, you have to make the decision to stop.
Both deaths were very difficult on me (and on Ian), but in drawer closer to God I have been able to reestablish my footing and regain peace.
Happy Thanksgiving and Blessings,
Sarah
Sorry to hear about the tragedies happening so close to your home Sarah. It's hard enough to read of these situations, but let alone deal with them directly and know those who've passed on. My prayers go out to all involved. I know it's hard on you, but God put you there for a reason. Think of all those whom you are able to help. I miss and love you and wish you both the merriest joy of the season!
ReplyDeleteHey girl so sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds and looks like you are really getting an amazing experience. We miss you back in MI!!!!
ReplyDelete