A few weeks ago Ian was able to preach at our local church. I was very proud of him and his sermon was well received by the congregation. Afterward a few people came up to him and said that it had really touched them. One woman even cried and said that it was one of the best sermons she has heard. We also have a huge praise.....Before Ian went up to preach I was praying that God would reveal himself through Ian and that he would speak to the heart of the people. As I was praying for his revelation to come, I looked over and a friend of ours (who does not usually attend church, maybe not ever) slid into the seat beside me. When Ian saw this he smiled, it was an answer to prayer. It was a very tender act for this person to come and want to listen to Ian's testimony, a real sign that Ian has been a light in his life.
I have also had some interesting medical situations. Two weeks ago I had 3 traumas (reason for the lack of blogging). At one point after placing the AED pads, I actually thought I was going to have to shock my patient. This would have been my first time ever having to actually "bring someone back." Fortunately I didn't have to, but it was very touch and go for many hours. His vitals remained dangerously low, and I found myself quickly referencing my ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) training manual. I also had to medivac a patient to Anchorage for meningitis. She was developing sepsis (widespread infection) and needed immediate care. Then, I had a severely dehydrated infant who we could not get an IV in. I was about to place an IO line (interosseous IV- through the bone ) when my boss, a former pediatric nurse, found a small vein in her foot that worked. She was also medivaced out to Bethel for care. Needless to say I was extremely tired after the busy week, but very thankful that I managed to handle the situations.
We have also been able to go on another snow machine ride up Artie's Trail. The scenery was so beautiful and because we went in the evening, the mountains looked purple. We haven't run into any bears on our adventures, but there is a mother moose (cow) and her calf that have been hanging around the clinic. They can be spotted frequently eating the brush outside the clinic. It often feels like we are living in the last frontier, especially when you see things like giant moose in your backyard.
I also received a lovely gift from one of my patients. He and his wife caught some fresh rainbow trout and gave us two of them. Of course we were extremely excited about eating them, we just didn't know how to get them table ready. Fortunately a friend of ours had us over and taught me how to fillet a fish. Yep, I officially know how to fillet a fish. He said that he would have me help him this summer when he goes fishing...of course my payment would come as salmon. Not a bad trade-off if you ask me!
This morning I will be going on another home visit to a local village, Chauthbaluk. This village is about 20 miles up river and we will be getting their either by snow machine or truck. Either way our "road" is the frozen Aniak River. The elder that I will be seeing is home bound and terminal, and his family is requesting a check up. It will be really nice to visit him and his family. Doing things like this is the whole reason why I got into my profession in the first place; to help people.
| Wolf Tracks |
Thanks again for all the emails, comments, and gift boxes. We really appreciate them all. We are so thankful that amidst the 6,000 mile separation and lack of home phones/ Internet we are able to keep in touch with almost everyone somehow. God Bless and may he continue to shine his face upon you!
- Sarah
I truly look forward to reading each one of your blog entries. It's like my current soap opera. It sounds like the adventures continue to abound in Alaska for you both. May God's blessings continue on your journey.
ReplyDeleteGod is good all the time. Miss you and Ian, but see God's fingerprints on what you two are doing. Counting the days till August when I CAN SEE YOUR SMILING FACES AND GIVE YA HUGS!lOVE ,MADRE
ReplyDelete