You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Friday, April 15, 2011

Marie's Story

I have gotten permission from Marie to publish this. Her story has both  greatly blessed and absolutely angered me.


I finished ATLS (more on this later) and came back to an extremely busy week. For most of you in full time work, you know how this goes. Going on vacation only to return to a mound of work that has been compiling on your desk, eagerly waiting for your return.  So began my Tuesday....my schedule was completely full and the charts on my desk were like the US postal service, they never stopped coming. On Wednesday I actually started to feel slightly depressed. It seemed like everyone I was seeing had major health issues that had either been neglected or needed immediate attention. I was exhausted.

Thursday morning my tank was on empty, physically and spiritually. Then I met Marie. This was the first time that I had met her.  I will not try to re-create her story, I want you to read it for yourself. With her permission I have attached the website. She bravely published this 1 year ago in the local newspaper.

Something just drew me to Marie and we started talking.  At the end of our time I felt like I needed to ask her if I could give her a hug. When I asked, she said yes, then she embraced me. I mean REALLY embraced me and then started to sob on my shoulder. I was not expecting this at all, but I know that this is exactly what she and I needed. She then proceeded to tell me the horrific details of her life.

Afterward she asked if I would like to read her story.  Like I mentioned earlier, she published this more than a year ago. After she left I went into my office and pulled it up. After reading the first 2 paragraphs I also started to sob. Having just met this beautiful woman then reading the cruelty of her life was very overwhelming.  Awful doesn't even come close to what this is.


So, I am asking for those reading my post to read Marie's story as well. If it touches you as it did me, I am asking that you write her a letter of encouragement. I have this vision. My vision is that this woman, who felt so unloved, would receive letters of encouragement, support, and empathy from people who care about what happened to her. That her existence be validated. Can you imagine opening up your heart and life through a story and receiving mail from people who were touched by it! I am asking from the bottom of my heart to open yours and bless Marie.


Here in the Delta life can be brutal. We have the highest (3 times the national average to be exact) rates of child sexual abuse ages 0-12 and domestic violence in the nation. It is pathetic. I KNOW this would bless her beyond belief. My goal is to get 10 letters in the next month. When you send the letter address it to me with her name in parenthesis. I will not open or read them, these treasures are for her.


Address the cards as such.  I will then drop them off at her home:
Sarah Niecko (Marie)
PO Box 208
Aniak, AK 99557


Marie's Story:

http://www.thedutchharborfisherman.com/article/1004healing_is_forgiving_those_who_hurt_me



Please share this with your friends, I really hope that we can pull together to bless her with some heart felt mail!

-Sarah

2 comments:

  1. oh, Sarah, what a heartbreaking story....however, what a strong and forgiving woman, as a mother of a young girl, i ask myself if i could forgive.....it would take a lot of prayer.....i just can't imagine. i actually just had a talk with micah about what is "ok" and what is not "ok". we have actually had a situation in our community, wherein, i had to explain a lot of things to micah that i feel i should not have to explain to my innocent 6 year old daughter. i will fill you in on this soon,(had nothing to do with micah) maybe i can catch you on skype. thank you for sharing, it is stories such as this that reaffirm my strong will to protect my sweet girls, i feel that God blesses us with a "mother's instinct" and that i am right to trust that. love to you both, will be sending a letter.....blessings, susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah for sharing this story with us. It is heartbreaking to think of the many innocent, preciouse children that are daily abused. But it so amazing to see a life redeemed by the love of God.

    We are praying for Ian and you as you serve the people of Aniak. What an awesome opportunity you have. :)

    Love,
    Melissa Stauffer

    ReplyDelete