You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Sunday, March 20, 2011

1st Anniversay (a reflection)

We had a very busy weekend. Ian was invited to participate in a basketball tournament.  He called himself "The Great White Hope" which has now become quite a joke between us. Basketball here is a huge deal and it is common to find 50-60 year old men and woman playing regularly in a league.

Great White Hope

Since Ian is athletic we both thought that his skills would make him a competitive match against any challenger. Unfortunately the street ball play found here required a lot more endurance than skill. More surprising is the reputation that Ian now has in the village. Since Ian was called to be the center for the team, word around our village is that "white men can jump."  Unfortunately they lost their first two games, but Ian won some local fans.

March 14 was our 1st anniversary, who would have thought we would be spending it in rural Alaska! I was in church this morning reflecting over the very fast last year and how blessed we both are. The first blessing was for the work that God has done in our lives. His unconditional love and devotion to us has been overwhelming to say the least. The second blessing was for the physical way that he showed this, through our parents.


I really believe that God has used both my parent's and Ian's as vessels to show us his love. I want to thank Dianne, Ian's mom, for her act of faith in bringing Ian into my life. I remember the first time I met Dianne at the Nursing Clinic. In comparison to her "Princess Dianna" like appeal, she is even more beautiful on the inside. On an unusually slow day seeing patients, she shared with me her great life story and then described her son, Ian, making for a wonderful finale.  I remember trying to see the last name on her lab coat, just in case...a girl always thinks of those things. Getting a new and GOOD last name is a big deal. And, so began the adventure of meeting and falling in love with Ian. Thank you again, Dianne, for sharing the life of your son with me!

Speaking of mothers, my own mother deserves praise for her endless hours of prayer. Thank you mom for your continual prayer for my "husband." I believe that Ian is in my life because of them. Your faith and continual devotion to the Lord manifests daily in the way you bless others. I am so proud to call you mother and best friend.


Next up are our fathers. Jon, I thank you for your example in Ian's life. Your life of charity has been passed on to your son. As little eyes watched you continally give, a man grew in your shadow. Your random acts of kindness planted seeds into your son who reflects your giving heart to this day. You didnt just give him a great last name, but a legacy of servethood as well.

And to my dad. I thank you for also being an example. Quite honestly you are probably the most faithful man I know. You endless devotion to the Lord and in following his comands set a high standard  for any man that I could marry. Through you I learned the importance of needing a spiritual leader to be the head of my household and marriage. I thank you also for your prayers in my life, and for the friendship you have established with Ian.

One thing I am begenning to understand is that God does things with purpose. There is a purpose to why one of his greatest 10 commandments is to honor your mother and father. Not just because they often know what is best, but because he uses them as vessels to bless his children.

The 3rd blessing over the last year is seeing the Niecko's, Ringenberg's, Jacoby's, and El-Shaarways's come together. I just LOVE that our mom's have become fast friends (sister-sister), our fathers share a common love for old and rusty junk (I mean things....haha), my brothers often call to talk to Ian and sometimes forget to ask about me, and I now have two new sisters to share clothes with. Through the marriage of two people came the larger establishment of friendship and love. So often the union of two people is only that, two people. Ian and I are blessed that the covenant between us really did bring together the growth of one family.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, not only am I so thankful and happy to have another sister and that that sister is you, but I, and I will speak for the rest of the Niecko's, we couldn't thank YOU enough for coming into Ian's life. I personally know mom's worry level basically went out the door when you two got married! So let us thank you! Love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to a wonderful couple. I feel so honored that I was able to be there and witness your blessed day! You two make such a beautiful couple, and I know that God has strengthened your bond and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete