Ian and I recently celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary. I am not going to write about how wonderful he is, how fast time goes, or how blessed I am to have him for a husband……somehow that almost feels too cliche and lets be honest, no one really wants to hear that anyway . Instead I would rather share with you what these last 4 years have brought for us in a more personal way. For friends, family, and maybe even for the random person who stumbled upon our blog in a google search, there is much more I would rather share.
Coming upon #4 I reflected back to our early married days. Three of the biggest things that have transformed during this time are: what now fills our conversations, the ways we pass the days, and the things we spend our money on. Together, these have been catalysts for the renewal of our characters and the alterations in our habits.
| We went on an anniversary hike up Mt Jumbo. The following pictures are during this hike. |
I like to think that even without our move to Alaska our lives would still have evolved, however, I am sure that it did help speed the process! Since being here I find that we pause more often and look more deeply into the present more than we ever have before. Although we still talk about the future, being present in every moment is more important for us now.
We also try to live more simply. Not only / most importantly, as the saying goes, in order that others may simply live, but to regain our freedom from material stuff.
Ian and I laugh at my shoe collection when we first met - I seriously think I had at least 10 pairs of cowboy boots alone! And besides my Vitamix, I think we have reached a point where the attachments to our material possessions are easier to sever. And boy does cutting that cable feel good!
For us, embracing simplicity really has been both life changing and utterly peace giving. Two of my favorite books regarding simplicity are Radical Simplicity by Jim Merkel and Voluntary Simpicity by Duane Elgin. Definitely worth checking out for the curious and ready to simplify reader!
OK, so I could probably let go of my Vitamix, but we sure wouldn't eat as well. Which leads to another big change, (90% of the time) we are gluten free and vegan. I have been a vegetarian since the age of 8, but Ian the cereal loving omnivore, only recently began his journey; and not only for reasons regarding animal cruelty, but also for the global impact and carbon footprint that our animal crazed food fetishes cause. Not to mention that our over processed food lifestyle and stress is probably the reason behind 99% of our diseases.
In the past 4 years we have also become more involved and concerned with global affairs. In the past year alone I have probably read 50 books on genocide, the sex slave trade, illegal immigrants, child soldiers, poverty, and humanitarian organizations. It is actually quite embarrassing that I had little knowledge regarding these atrocities before. However, since learning more, human rights and social justice issues have become my true passion and hence my desire to go back to school once again.
Here are some of the organizations that I support or volunteer with:
- Friends of the Children of Haiti (FOTCOH.org) - a medical clinic in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. You can also sponsor a child: helping them go to school, access clean water and food. I will be meeting the child we sponsor, Blandine, next month!
- Kilimanjaro Children’s Orphanage ( kiliophanagecentre.org) - an NGO set up to provide shelter, nutrition, safety, health care, and a long-term education to orphaned children at risk.
- Children of Destiny Nicaragua (codn.org) - two children's orphanage in Jos Cedros and Jinotega, Nicaragua. It is through this organization that I have been traveling on medical mission trips for the past 4 years. You can also sponsor a child through their organization as well.
- Rising International (risinginternational.org) - an organization that sells handmade crafts by women living in the poorest and most dangerous place in the world. All the proceeds go to support these woman keeping both them and their families fed and off the streets.
- Night Light International (nightlightinternational.com) - this organization works to build relationships with victims of the sex slave trade by providing hope, intervention, rescue, and assistance through vocational training and selling of their handmade crafts / jewelery.
This bear was a gift for a pregnant friend. I purchased it from the above organization Rising International. It was hand knittied by a survivor / widow from war torn Bosnia as a way to heal from the trauma, to make money to support her family, and to begin rebuilding her life. On the back of the bear she knitted her name. Also, you can't see it too well, but I am wearing a lovely handmade necklace purchased from NightLight.
Still I think the most important growth for us has been in our desire to know and connect with the Divine more intimately. If we do not go within, we truly go without. And, it is only by ways of spiritual growth that all the other changes in our life- from the foods we choose to nourish our bodies with to the organizations we choose to support - have been able to come about. From the Source comes a source.
In the last 4 years I have seen our desires reach toward the zenith and Source of love. To not only seek it, but to also find those barriers within ourselves that we have built up against it, to be a servant to it, a warrior with it, and a voice for it.
Blessing
Sarah
P.S. Ian just read this blog and laughed, calling it the most hippie blog posting yet.


No comments:
Post a Comment