What a lovely several weeks we have been having here in Juneau. It seems the Midwest has taken much of our winter and snow, leaving us with many clear sunny days. On days such as these, Juneau could rival any place in the world for beauty.
And our Sunday was all about beauty. I had read somewhere that we should see in everyone the brilliant work of the Divine in a uniform. This morning as we walked on the glacier towards the ice caves I realized that the Divine's uniform is truly all around us.
As I stared out at the snow capped mountains with the glistening blue glacier in the forefront I truly felt connected to something greater than myself. Without words my soul had a silent conversation with its Maker.
I was very happy to share this with Ian. Thankfully even though Alaska has had an uncharacteristically warm winter and the glacier has had record amounts of recession, the ice caves are still present for us to explore.
And, we only had to avoid a few cracks in the lake to get there.
So after a quick one mile hike across Mendenhall Lake, we came upon the mouth of the cave nestled up against the glacier.
As we approached the entrance, the majestic glacier blue welcomed us to its mysterious home.
It truly was unbelievable. A million tons of glacier ice coalesced together forming a gigantic tunnel of frozen blue.
And beneath the glacial tunnel you could hear the turbulent rivers of freshly melted water, making its way to the lakes below.
As I sat from the inside facing the entrance I was struck by this view. At first it made me laugh….here I am in an ice cave beneath a melting glacier of which at any time could cave in and surely bring forth my demise. And what am I doing? Staring at the light at the end of the tunnel.
But as I thought about it more, the fear and cynicism faded. It was truly a beautiful thing, surrounded by darkness yet enfolded in light.
It made me think about the light inside all of us. I have met some who seem to shine all the time. I have also known beacons darker than others, and some so dark that they never realize they are a form of light at all.
I confront this often with patients in my practice of medicine. And, I find it is one of the most tragic things that I encounter; those who fail to recognize the light that already lives inside them.
I have learned that some of the toughest patients are those who have forgotten about this very truth. Today as I stood peering out from the cave unto the radiant glow ahead, I reminded myself to give more grace and show more love….to myself and especially to others.
For in a world that is often too busy and self servicing, its important to remember that it's not what you have on the outside that glitters in the light, but what you have on the inside that shines in the dark.
It wasn't just today, but something I have been thinking about for a while; to live a life out of the abundance of my heart in service to others, and to connect with the source that gives it all meaning.
Every person you meet is an opportunity to extend kindness, to share your light with them and to remind them of the light that lives inside all of us. So, use your beacon of hope as it was intended, to enrich your life and all those it shines upon.
With love and peace-


No comments:
Post a Comment