This morning as I was drinking my coffee and reflecting on the long week God lead me to Jeremiah 17:5-8. As a matter of fact, I was so moved that I decided to post it on our Alaskan Bush Couple Blog and not my other more religious one. I am trusting that there is someone out there who this will speak to like it did me.
Thus says the Lord:
"Cursed (tormented, afflicted, unhappy) is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh (the world) his strength, whose heart turns away from the Lord. He is like a shrub in the desert, and shall not see any good come. He shall dwell in the parched places of the wilderness, in an uninhabited (dead) salt land.
Blessed (favored, happy, content) is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit. " - Jeremiah 17:5-8
I carry a lot of conviction about how I am perceived by others. Not only as a christian, but as a medical provider I know that how I treat and respond to people is watched and evaluated. Shamefully I not always respond with love and light. And, when this happens, I feel very guilty. Sometimes I think guilt is my biggest enemy.
In times of trials and struggles sometimes I let darkness prevail. I respond harshly, get angry quickly, cast blame, or judge (sounds nice and sweet, huh?) After I read Jeremiah and reflected on my week I realized that I had been living as a shrub in a parched and dry desert.
As a christian I am called to be a mighty fruit bearing oak tree planted next to the living waters of Christ. And through him I am to be a source of comfort and shade for others, a love umbrella of sorts.
But this I am convinced, as a shrub, I wasn't able to see any good come. I was blinded by the darkness of my own heart and dry from not seeking out his living waters more. As a result, I had no life or love to give anyone.
How I interpreted the meaning of this verse really invigorated my spiritual walk. I felt so much strength in knowing the power that being blessed by him reveals.
In trusting the Lord when heat (trials, conflict, etc) comes, my leaves (action, thoughts, responses) can and should remain green (life giving) and not wither up.
In the drought (silence, worry, anxiety) I can still bear fruit (love, patience, self control, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness - Galatians 5:22) IF I continue to abide in God.
I don't have to give into darkness and become a little shrub! I can remain an oak, God promises that I will be blessed when I seek him first!
You see as humans we are only able to think of one thing at a time. Try it, think about a beach....not try to think about a beach and the upcoming presidential election....you can't, once you think about the later, you are no longer thinking about your beach...
Same thing with life for Christians. Once you start thinking about your problems, shortcomings, and troubles you are no longer meditating on God, your source of faith. Hence, without his constant watering you become a dry shrub in the uninhabited salt land.
But BLESSED he says, is the one who trusts in me first. In all situations you will be given life and continue to bear fruit. This means that your second step or thought can still be life-giving. You no longer have to be afraid or regret what you do if you first paused and consulted God. It may not be like a "poof" moment and suddenly be all ok, but it will be in accordance with his will, and his will is perfect.
I pray this for myself and loved ones who know or who are wondering about the greatness of our God:
Give me eyes to see more of who you are. May what I behold still my anxious heart. Take what I have known and break it all apart, for you my God are greater still.
Give me grace to see beyond this moment here. To believe that there is nothing left to fear, for you are high above it all.
Because no sky contains, no doubt restrains all you are, the greatness of our God.
I spend my life to know and I'm far from close to all you are, the greatness of our God.
- Natalie Grant.
- Sarah

No comments:
Post a Comment