Saturday, June 25, my dear friend Laurie got married in Beverly Hills California. In true Hollywood fashion, Laurie was glamorous...If you can imagine a cross between Princess Kate Middleton, Amanda Peet, and Jillian Michaels you would have Laurie, she was absolutely beautiful.
Beverly Hills was quite different from rural Aniak, and yes, there were some celebrities at her wedding. One minute I am riding a 4 wheeler collecting dust in my hair, and another I am sitting in a salon on Rodeo Dr getting that very dust washed out. From one extreme to another, both have their advantages. Even though I was only there for a total of 30 hours, I had a wonderful time being with my lovely friend, and was honored to be asked to share in her memory. Thanks, Laurie, love ya!
Sunday I flew back to Anchorage and met up with Ian. He is now officially an Alaskan, at least according to his new drivers license. I have yet to change mine over, I figure Alaska isn't quite prepared for my style of driving yet. Jason, I can see you nodding your head right now.........
The following day, Ian's parents, Jon and Dianne, flew in from Michigan and we started our journey to Denali National Park. We took The Alaska Rail, a large dome-windowed train, up to the park. The train ride took about 5 hours to get from Anchorage to Denali.
| The Front of Our Train to Denali |
| I think I was trying a "thin" pose? |
| Niecko Family |
| Mama Dianne Taking in the Scenes |
| Jon and Ian |
| Dianne and Sarah |
In Denali we stayed in a log cabin chalet with a cozy view of the national park. Later that night we went white water rafting on the Nenana, a glacier fed river. Even though it was freezing, I think we still had a good time....at least for 6 out of 12 miles.
| Caribou |
| We Found A Caribou |
| Alaska Grizzly |
| Denali National Park |
Once in Kantishna, Dianne tried her hand at securing the Niecko family fortune by panning for gold. Unfortunately she was unsuccessful, but not without a great effort. Below you can watch her hard work by pressing the play button:
Of note, Ian had a little accident on the tour bus........
Ok, he actually fell asleep with his tea resting on his lap. You can probably figure out what happened, but I just thought this was hilarious....sorry honey!
After our long bus ride back to Anchorage we decided to get a little exercise and take a bike ride along the coast. Unfortunately we only made it about 2 miles and we had another accident. In a valiant effort to save her hat, Ian's mom fell off her bike and broke her left hip. The following day she had a partial hip replacement and is currently recovering at Providence Hospital in Anchorage. Thankfully it was only a hip and nothing more serious, but I know it was still very painful and she has a long rode of recovery ahead of her.
Our family would really appreciate prayers for her healing, strength, and safety back to Michigan. Unfortunately because of the accident they were unable to go to Aniak as planned. I flew in earlier today, but Ian is staying in Anchorage with his parents. Hopefully they will be able to head home to Michigan sometime next week if everything goes well with physical therapy.
Even though our Denali adventure was very fun and we thoroughly enjoyed our Starbucks Americonos (and the occasional Barnes and Nobles trip), Ian and I are both happy to be headed back home to Aniak.
The only draw back is coming here without Jon and Dianne.
| Before |
| After |
Speaking of Kuspuks....before I left for Denali I finished my first one! It has a few hidden flaws, but I am very proud of my creation. These shirts are traditional attire here for the Eskimo culture, and most women have several in their closets. Soon Ian will have one in his, too!
| My First Kuspuk! |
| My Quilt Block |
| The Quilt |
I would also like to wish a happy birthday to Melissa and my mom on June 28! Love you guys!
- Sarah

What awesome adventures you continue to have. I am so impressed with your sewing abilities. You're becoming more like your mom everyday. Unfortunately it sounds like so is Ian's mother with her hip replacement. I will definitely pray for her recovery. I miss you and think of you often.
ReplyDeleteHaha!! Zach falls asleep with his tea on his lap all the time!! It is so funny! :)
ReplyDeleteDid Ian's parents make it back to MI? That is such a bummer about her hip! I'll see if Zach can drop off some goodies to her next time he goes to Cold Water. Miss you guys!