There are few times in my life when someone has said something that instantly and directly pierces my heart. Two times now my brother, Blake, has been able to do this. I am not trying to put him on a pedestal, merely invoke some thought and give glory to God who has used him to speak love and encouragement in my life (although I am VERY proud of him...he is about to finish his masters in counseling!)
The first piercing came in the form of a musical wedding gift, a homemade CD. I wasn't even aware that the lyrics of this song were EXACTLY what I had been longing for, but somehow Blake knew. I was sitting next to Ian when I first popped the CD in, and immediately I started to cry. Ian was a little surprised by the instant emotions, but I knew in my heart that Blake had just been used as a vessel by God to tell me "This is what it is to held, to be loved, and to know that the promise was that when everything fell....We'd be held" - Natalie Grant.
Not only did the covenant that Ian and I make that day ensure that I would always be held by him, but that no matter what troubles may come in our lives, Christ would always be the hands that held us together. That is what the promise is for, when our worlds are shaking, heaven will stand.
The second time this happened came quite unexpected. God, however, spoke in his perfect timing, and again through Blake. I received a gift in the mail. Like the last, it might not have had much monetary value, but it is an eternal treasure without a price tag.
As a matter of fact, it is so precious that I don't even want to disclose the details, only share with you my thoughts.
Ian and I moving out here was a HUGE leap of faith. We were leaving behind our families, friends, good jobs, etc and headed into literally the middle of nowhere.
One of the things were were most looking forward to was the simplicity of being "off the grid." Going back to our roots, Christ, and learning to live apart from as many worldly demands as we could. This meant no cell phones, grocery stores, movie theatres, cars...you get the point. In our time here, just being really thankful with less has brought us so much more.
I imagine this is how Jesus walked the earth. SImply loving his father and doing his will was to him a gift, pure joy. I imagine that if he walked the earth today he wouldn't spend hours sitting on the couch watching TV or playing his DS or Wii, gluing himself to Facebook, or wallowing in self pity. He knew he was created for something much greater and truly didn't need anything this world had to offer.
The sufferings of his present time were not worth comparing to the glory that was to be revealed to him. The things that often give identity to our lives, he didn't seek or live according too...he didn't live in a palace, wear priestly robes, on dine on fine meals...his joy was simple: being with God the father.
I will share only this from my Blake Blessing:
Its a gift to be simple, Its a gift to be free,
Its the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
Will be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend, we will not be ashamed,
To turn, turn, will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right
Its a gift to be simple, Its a gift to be free,
Its a gift to come down where you ought to be - Jewel
One of the simplest things I have done in my life is to follow Jesus. This is also the hardest, the most rewarding, the most fulfilling, the most frustrating, and the most fearful thing as well.
I have been plucked from so many dangerous and sinful situations in my life, I know it was because of the love of my Lord and the showering of his blessings. - Ezekiel 36:11
Do you remember being a child, the pure joy of a sunny day, homemade cookies, the smell of walnuts (inside memory), somehow as we grow we forget how to be simple....it seems that maturity equals the acquisition of more stuff. However, we often find ourselves being unhappy with less, yet unhappier with more.
I really felt lead to share this today, to really examine in your heart what happiness is and how far you have complicated its meaning in your life. I know for me it is a simple and refreshing as this if you choose life:
"He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and a buckler - Psalm 91:4
And to my brother Blake, I love you so much...Your words have been tangible blessings from above. Glory to God, brother!
-Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment