You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Sunday, August 2, 2015


The time between posts are becoming long and longer. Since Ian and I are knee deep in school right now, finding time to post has been difficult. Sometimes I think we are barely keeping our heads above water, other times it feels like we just gave birth to twins. Thankfully we are both thrilled (total understate for myself) about our new journeys. Ian is thriving in the cerebral / contemplative realm that his program is providing, and I cannot wait to come home and study global health issues and reform. Most importantly, though, we are enjoying the journey, and like most new parents, each day brings opportunity for new discoveries both in ourselves and as a couple on our mini odyssey together. 


It has also been a summer of visitors. Earlier we had my brother, Blake, and his wife, Gretchen visit. Then, Ian's college friend, Shawn, came with his family from Taipei, followed by a visit from Ian's mom. As always it is great to show people Juneau and attempt to convert them into vegans. So far our record is not too shabby either. Blake and Gretchen may move out here in the spring, and I am pretty sure Dianne is going to be experimenting with new vegan cooking over the next several months. 


It was also really good seeing family. We haven't seen Blake and Gretchen in over a year! Thankfully they were troopers and let us drag them on as many rainy trails as we could find. They even let us hike them up to John Muir Cabin for an overnight camping extravaganza. Compliment of course with red wine and twizzlers! 


I really wanted to get them out in nature as much as we could. Coming from the same gene pool, I was hopeful that the clean salty Juneau air would be as healing for Blake as it has been for me. The more I let nature enter in, the more I learn from its teachings.  


If you shout at the oak tree it does not become angry, it you plant a beautiful flower garden nearby it does not become jealous. Its being is not in relation to any opinion, fear, thought, or outcome. It stands firm, deeply rooted, and practices being present all of its life. An oak tree just is, it expresses itself in just being. 



This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. I have a tendency to run at life like it is a race; always focused on time, how competitive I am with fellow runners, or what place I will take at the finish.  Seeing your name among the top or being in the hall of fame, is consider by many a triumph. I do as well, in some regard. 



However, in the impermanent life where medals, trophies, and degrees can so quickly be destroyed, a legacy too firmly attached to such materials can be easily forgotten as well.  If however, my life has been one of love, after the dust settles, I will still have this to carry around my neck. More importantly, I can hang it in the hall of fame of another. 


In everyone, regardless of their physical accomplishments or wealth, there is the capacity to wake up, to understand, and to love. Understanding and loving are not two things but actually one. To awaken means to understand; once you understand, you cannot help but love. 


In my current class, global health ethics, we are talking about some very heavy topics. Civil conflicts, genocide, child soldiers, sex slave trade, health care disparities, stem cell research, etc.  My mind is constantly in a state of question and flux. One common thread in all these atrocities is the tendency of violence to supersede attempts at peace. Even "peace talks" are filled with emotional violence, anger and hostility. And, even though agreements are made, peace accords are often broken. 


A beautiful quote from the mission statement of the United Nations Education, Science, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), states that, "Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that defenses of peace must also be constructed" (UNESCO.org). I think this quote hits to the heart of so many problems, they begin in our mind. 


This weekend I watched a wonderful movie called Beyond Belief. This documentary is about two women whose husbands were killed in 911. Instead of retaliation or harboring hate in their hearts and minds, they decided to raise money for the widows of Afghanistan instead. Eventually they raised thousands of dollars and purchased chickens for the widows who could then sell the eggs for money. 


A few years later they travelled to Afghanistan to meet the women.  Once there they were overwhelmed not just by the poor conditions of the country, but how freely these women loved amidst all the atrocities they have seen, as well.  It was very powerful to see the recognition of our similarities unfold and cause an awakening of understanding, and ultimately love, in the American widows. 

Their love, I know, is hanging in the hall of fame of the Afghan women's hearts. Their legacy, through extending a hand in friendship, has also helped create an indestructible bridge of healing that no drone can destroy.  


I am guilty of not listening to nature's teachings, of being angry, jealous, and greedy. I am also guilty of clinging to my worldly "medals" and not freely letting them go. I am, however, aware that I need to awaken to these issues and allow transmutation of my gold medal into love occur. It is only through letting the hostilities pass through me, and not allowing them to attach to my soul that I can begin to progress forward toward real spiritual transformation. 


And only when, like an oak tree, standing firm, deeply rooted, and practicing being present all of my life, will I be able to provide shade and shelter to those who need it. I wonder if this is why nature is so beautiful; it is free of judgement, anger and hate, and free to love no matter what. Always. 

Sarah








































1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written as always Sarah. I'm so glad Blake and Gretchen were able to come visit. Andy and I coming out to see you is on my bucket list still too. Sadly, his career change to farming limits the times of year that he can take of on a trip. I can't imagine winter is the best time to take a vacation to Alaska. Make sure you let me know when you're in Sturgis next. Miss and love you.

    ReplyDelete