It was truly wonderful to have my parents visit last week. Since this was their 5th time in Alaska I had to be creative in my event planning (because there is so little to do here, right?). Since the southeast is home to several remote village islands nestled within the Tongass National Forest, I thought a trip along the Inside Passage to visit a few of them was perfect.
First stop was Skagway, also known as the "Gateway to the Klondike". When gold was discovered in the Klondike region of Canada's Yukon Territory in 1896, Skagway and its White Pass Trail leading up to the gold fields quickly became a popular destination for many hoping to strike it rich.
In 1898 the White Pass Railway was built to assist in transporting supplies and men up to the Klondike. Knowing my dad's fascination with trains and gold mining I thought this historical train ride would be great.....and boy was I right!
![]() |
| Here is my dad doing one of his favorite things, gold panning. He quickly acquired the name, Yukon Sam, when he actually brought home some gold flakes. |
The vintage passenger rail takes you through breathtaking panoramic views of mountains, glaciers, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, and of course many historical sites. I think you can still hear cries of "gold in the Yukon'" echoing from the steep canyon walls.
| Whale my mom caught on our ferry ride over to Sitka |
Next up was Sitka, the town where the United States signed the Alaskan Purchase for $2 per acre from Russia in 1867. This town was not only full of both Russian and Tlingit history, but also my parent's favorite.
| Here are some of the dancers showing their tribal robes depicting their clan moiety. |
Since moving to Alaska and working with the various native tribes here I have really grown to love their culture. Some of their traditions, practices, and dress are actually quite beautiful. To share more of this with my parents I took them to a traditional Tlingit native dance performance, where my mom and I both tried our version of the "raven dance" on stage.
We then walked through Totem Park where over 20 large hand carved totems proudly stand among the giant spruce. Each totem design was as varied as the clans that made them. For some they stood to recount legends, clan lineages or important events. To others they were also be used to incorporate grave boxes or provide objects of public ridicule.
Though I am not a fan of caged animals or zoos (as a matter of fact I try to avoid these as much as possible), I have to admit that the Bear Fortress in Sitka was a highlight for me. In Alaska if bear cub orphans are found after their mother has been killed they are often euthanized. Thankfully a kind man donated most of his retirement and land to build a sanctuary for the orphaned cubs.
In Sitka, the Bear Fortress is home to 4 brown bears and 3 black bears that would have otherwise been put down. In watching them play I could tell they were happy to have this home. The staff and bear behavioral psychologist (yes, they have their own psychologist) work hard to keep the bear's minds wild. They hide food, stock the water with fresh live salmon and actually have them hibernate in the winter months. One bear even knows how to use sign language for "more".....very cool.
Of course, what would be an Alaskan trip without a hike or two. I was especially proud of my mom, who really should have had a knee replacement 5 years ago, keeping up and refusing to give us her backpack to carry!
Here we are after climbing up a mountain ridge, my mom with her "victory" salute.
One of the things I love most about hiking is being in the natural wild; hearing the birds, feeling the cool clean breeze on my skin, smelling the fresh earth, and of course sharing the experience with others.
So, we decided to hike up to a well known Sitka waterfall (of course I cannot remember the name now). When my dad decided to take a rest, I took the opportunity to re-enact a well known scene from a well known story....Abraham and Isaac perhaps?
My mom thought otherwise.
During the months of June - August, most Alaskan rivers and streams are FILLED with fish. Though you cannot see the Salmon in this river, hundreds upon hundreds of Salmon were jumping and splashing their way upstream. They start their journey in the open sea and when it comes time to breed they travel hundreds of miles (up to1000) upstream into fresh water to lay there eggs and then die. Amazingly this life journey brings them back to the same place where they were born.
The story of the salmon life cycle is quite spiritual if you think about it, where does nature get this instinct to knowingly return to its origin? What an amazing gift the Divine has given us through the artistic expression of nature.....you can so learn much from watching its ways. For it is not only the portal to discover the secrets of the past but a glimpse into what may lie beyond. All over our great earth nature has written her stories and continues to reveal to us a higher way.
Stopping to "smell the roses" is not only about experiencing this beauty with our senses but also about being present and still. Knowing I need much more of this ancient practice in my life, I often turn to nature to teach me her secrets.
Just the other day I was reading an article about Nature Deficit Disorder. This hypothesis posed by Richard Louv in 2005 states that as humans, especially children, spend less time outdoors they are at risk for developing a wide range of behavioral and potential health problems.
From my own personal experience I absolutely agree. During this trip even my mom commented on the "spirit of Alaska," her beauty, peace, grace, and serenity. Being in nature just feels good.
And of course so does enjoying great company in a warm hot tub with a good glass of red wine!
With summer winding down, and winter almost here (I think fall decided to skip over Alaska this year) I am looking forward to experiencing a different season in my beautiful home. As the bears head up the mountains to hibernate and the seedlings nestle down into the soil preparing for the cold, I too will use this time to slow my thoughts and practice deeper reflections; to look upon nature's divine ways toward the path of peace, joy, and liberation.
-Sarah





So where are the photos of your mother and you doing the "Raven Dance" on stage? I'd love to see those. I absolutely love the photo of you and your father on the train. What a precious father/daughter picture. I'm so glad your parents are able to come out to Alaska so often and share in the beauty that is Alaska with you. What amazing memories you are forging together. Sending love your way!
ReplyDelete