I don't even know where to begin. I am on my way home from Haiti, currently at Miami airport and my heart and mind are reeling from what I saw and experienced. Even though it is well into the afternoon, "Bonswa" has no place here. This makes me sad, I am not ready to forget the Haitian people. As a matter of fact, I know I never will.
It is hard to describe what went on over the last 2 wks. 2100 patients later, though, I will never be the same. I didn't even take many pictures during the trip, my conscious wouldn't let me. Somehow snapping pictures of someone in the midst of their poverty just didn't seem right. It was just too pitiful, too unfair.
I have traveled to the 3rd world many times, but have seen nothing like this before. I have never felt weak during clinic because of what I was seeing, too sick to finish my lunch because I was thinking of those who go without, or cried after leaving a country because the images still haunt me. Even as I write this I have the familiar lump in my throat. At any moment, if the right person were to give me a hug I know I would weep in their arms for my brothers and sisters in Haiti.
One infant boy lost his mother during child birth and was being raised by his father. At 2 months of age he weighed just over 5 lbs. I carefully picked him up to feed him a bottle, and while rocking him tried unsuccessfully to sing him Jesus Loves You. I couldn't get past the first sentence without tearing up. I still think of him.
| The little baby I tried to sing to |
Another 15 month old child weighed just under 12 lbs. He just sat there staring as I examined him, too weak to resist. His legs the size of garden hose, his tummy swollen from protein deficiency. Given the extreme states of some of the children we start them on Plumpy Nut, a high calorie peanut butter food supplement to be given 3 times a day in addition to meals. When the package was opened and the little boy saw that it was food, he immediately reached out for the Plumpy Nut and started eating. Myself and the pediatrician both broke down in tears. I had to walk away. Few of us will ever know this kind of hunger. I still think of him as well.
| One of the malnourished children eating Plumpy Nut |
It is commonplace to see amputees from the earthquake hobbling along with worn out crutches, women carrying heavy supplies on their heads, or men pushing large amounts of materials in wheelbarrows up mountains in 90 degree heat.
I will never forget those faces and stares. Nor will I forget the men, women, and children who waited and slept for days outside with the hope of being seen by one of us for medical care. Nor the woman I saw who walked in ragged flip flops over a mountain (literally a mountain) to come to our clinic. She left at 2 am walking without food or water until 2 pm to see me for less than 15 minutes. She was so grateful and I will not forget her. Nor will I forget how everyone wore their best clothes and hats when they came to see us as a sign of respect. Their best clothes...... many of my patients back home come in their pajamas.
| People waiting outside our clinic to be seen |
| Two of the Haitian interpreters, Amiee and I. Hughes, my interpreter just finished medical school in the Dominican Republic |
| I am pointing to Cyvadier, the town where FOTCOH (Friends of the Children of Haiti) is located. |
With technology and travel it has become so small. How then, can so many of us today live totally unaffected by the injustices, poverty, war, and disease of our fellow brothers and sisters? Sure the oil prices may rise and maybe we see something on the news, but in the safety or our well furnished comfortable homes we carry on totally unaffected by "them over there." We forget as Bono says, that there is no them, only us.
As far as humanitarian aid goes, I am proud of our country in being the leader of global donations. I was happy to see several USAID tarps donated by the American people after the earthquake and bags of rice donning the American flag. Along with the presence of UN trucks throughout the country this somewhat softened my rage and disappointment. I think most of the anger though was directed at myself for not being more affected by their situation earlier.
Sadly though for most of us, myself included, as we go about our lives and careers very little of our time, money, and attention is given to the suffering of this world. Did you know that each day there are 30 wars going on? Or that during that same 24 hr period thousands of children die from malnutrition or preventable diseases?
Here's the thing.....the world DESPERATELY needs us to be an expression of God's love. DESPERATELY. While in Haiti I was so moved by the circumstances that I spent much of my morning meditating on gratefulness and love. As a matter of fact, without doing this every morning there is no way I would have made it through the day. Mentally I wouldn't have been strong enough.
I am back in the states now having returned more conflicted than ever. I wonder how long my sadness with last and if I will ever be able to eat a meal again without thinking of my Haitian brothers and sister who are going to be hungry each night. I wonder about Blandine, the girl we sponsor, and her family. Will she think of us as I will her?
| Blandine and I |
So in knowing this, I had to ask myself "Who am I and who do I choose to be in relation to those who suffer?"
And here's is what I came up with. I am a conduit of love to a broken world, and am an image bearer of something divine. This is true for all of us. And this beautiful Divine demonstrates His love by allowing us to demonstrate ours....Every encounter we have with another person is an opportunity for us to give them a glimpse of what the Creator thinks of them. EVERY encounter we have with each other matters. I have heard character described as how you treat those who can do nothing for you. I need to build more character.
Even though many things in my life need a healthy re-evaluation, I know this, I have chosen to change and to pour my inner alabaster jar on the feet of this world. Some may say that I am chasing rainbows but I believe in the hope that those illusions bring. So I will go on chasing the rainbows and hopefully inspire others to go after them as well.
As for Haiti and the Haitian people, I know I will never be the same.
blessings
- Sarah
How moving Sarah. I cannot begin to express how proud I am of all the differences you are making in the world. Secondly, it makes me feel so guilty. I wish I could do more. I don't even educate myself enough. While I do ignore the celebrity gossip including Kate Middleton's fashion trends, I don't bother much with any news. I often find things too depressing, so I'd rather shelter myself from reality. I have a burning desire to go on a mission trip that grows each time I read about one of your trips, but I also remember I have my children at home to tend to. It's on my bucket list. Please hold me to it. Thank you for all you do for our world. Much love and respect!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amanda. We can all do our parts. Teaching your children is probably the best and most influential thing that you can do. Mia and Olivia are our futures. I am not doing anything special, only what is expected and should be done. I am just very blessed to have the ability to travel, but so much can be done without ever leaving our homes. Many blessings to you! xoxo
DeleteSarah, this is Mrs. Cottin or as you probably know me, Mrs. Handyside. I ran into your mom yesterday and as usual we ask about each other’s kids. I was captivated when your mom told me what you were doing. She gave me the info to your blog site. I just finished reading about your trip to Haiti and was very moved by the work you are doing and how it is transforming you into the wonderful person we all wish to be. Our world is just not what it used to be and it is heartwarming to know that one of our own is making such worthy contributions. I know it is depressing to think of all the pain and suffering that is going on, but the fact remains that it is happening all over the world. Thank you for reminding us that it is happening and that we should be grateful for all we have. Even though you might think that your contributions are small, they are not. We might not be able to physically do the things that you are doing, but it is at the very least, our duty to ask God to help you and everyone else that are there helping with those in such great need. Just as you will remember all of those that you met and treated, they too will remember you with your kind smile and words. Keep up all the wonderful work you are doing and be safe. Best Regards
ReplyDelete