You cannot solve the worlds problems with the same consciousness that created it - Einstein

Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Niecko's


The family fun continues! Last week we welcomed the Niecko / Jacoby family to Juneau via the Holland America Cruise line.  Their cruise ship departed from Seattle and headed to the great Alaskan southeast with a stop in Juneau. Although they only docked for a short 10 hours, we were able to squeeze in a lot (literally squeeeeeze) and show them the best of Juneau.  


Fortunately for them they had a personal tour guide waiting for their arrival. If you have really good eyes you will see that the very handsome tour guide is holding up "Niecko party of 6" signs....This same tour guide was able to convince the Niecko clan into taking an all day excursion with him.  As you can see below, Niecko himself stood by as a sign of approval. 



And, the matriarch of the Niecko clan, Dianne,  seemed to warm up to the tour guide immediately.  In viewing the picture, one would sense that they went together like peas and carrots.



The first stop on the adventure tour was up the Mt Roberts Tram. As always the view did not disappoint. 

Our next stop was to the Mendenhall Glacier. It is always fun to show people this natural wonder. Ian's niece, Evian, was particularly excited about all the nature and wildlife. She is quite the little scientist and author. At the tender age of 7 she has already authored and illustrated many non-fiction books.  My inner child completely related with hers and I found myself truly enjoying our time together. If I was about 26 years younger I am sure that she would be my best friend.  



Remember when I mentioned squeeze? Well, this is how we ride in style! Our little Subi did a wonderful job carrying all of its 6 adults and 2 children around. Way to go Subi Family Truckster! Part of the adventure for me was being able to 1) fit in the back and 2) survive the odd smells coming from a certain persons feet. 


Ian had a really great time reconnecting with his mini me, Niecko. There is a really special bond between them, something that no time or distance can change. And of course, no trio would be complete without the Polish Prince, Jon. 

Perhaps, though, the best surprise was coming upon a mother black bear and her two cubs. I am not sure who spotted this first, but we all gazed in wonder at this rare opportunity to see such an adorable sight.  As a side note, we did save a lady's life as well. Wearing her headphones and power walking around the bend straight unto the mother bears path, we alerted her just in time so she could turn back.   Click play to see and make sure to blow it up so you can see the bears. For those of you a little computer challenged, it is the broken square in the right corner of the youtube screen. 



I really enjoy watching wildlife behaviors. I think that there is so much we can learn from their patterns.    Be it a flock of sea birds all waiting their turn to lift off, the sea lions frolicking together in the gentle waves,  the snow geese flying in tandem and alternating leaders when they tire, or the mothers caring for their young, I see constant patterns of love, sharing, and community all over our world.   


Sometimes I think, though, that humans are completely missing the mark.  I imagine that we were once innately aware of community and fellowship,  but somehow the "we" of our lives was replaced with the "I and me"  that so often categorize our everyday decisions.  


Thankfully, though, I often see a tender moment such as the above.  It reminds me that something innate cannot be taken away, that Love still very much exists here.  Our world just needs more flames to go out and light the fires in others, one torch at a time. 


And what family vacation would be complete without food? As our time came to a close we splurged on non-vegan wheat filled pizza. And Uncle Ian and Aunt Sarah's bowels payed for it the next 2 days.


As always, I am so thankful for my family. It truly is a blessing to know that they are not starving, in the midst of a civil war, are well sheltered, healthy, and safe.  I think of all the other mothers, brothers and families of this world who cannot say the above and it does sadden my soul.  Loving them truly helps me love others and gives me courage to live a life for change.


So thank you Niecko / Jacoby family for sharing your lives with us, supporting us, and being a constant renewing foundation for us. We love you so much!





























1 comment:

  1. Another great post and very well written. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with family again. I love the insightfulness you bring out in your writings. God bless!

    ReplyDelete