It has been so much fun having my parents here. Even though in their 60's, I mean late 40's, they still contain hearts of adventure. The question was never how long, steep, or hard something would be, but rather if we could accomplish it all in one day.
On Sunday we rode the Tram up Mt. Roberts and then hiked around the trails. The views were just spectacular! In addition to all the trails at the top, there is also a bird sanctuary and theatre that tells about the Tlingit (pronounced cl-ink-it) culture.
On our way up the tram we caught this cruise ship coming into the harbor. As it is summer, many ships dock in Juneau. As a matter of fact, some days we have 5 large ships just out our window. At my dinner table I can literally wave to the passengers eating theirs.

My dad took this picture on his first day here. At times there are actually more tourists in Juneau then residents!
As lovers of Alaskan wildlife, we thought it would be good to know where we really fit into the evolutionary chain of competition. Ian falls short about 2 feet from an Eagle's wingspan, and I just look to weird to even consider moving into a nest.
This beautiful eagle was unfortunately shot in its beak and blinded (it takes a very very mean person to hurt animals like this!) Subsequently, he is unable to forage for food and now calls our local bird sanctuary home. I usually cannot stand caged animals (I hate zoos) but this guy would not survive without his flight and sight abilities, so I guess this is better than an early death.
In the native culture, especially in Southeast Alaska, the Eagle has a high position of honor. As a result, one of our local tribes is actually called the Eagle Clan. The other is called Raven. Walking around downtown you will often find totem poles and traditional native drawings featuring this magnificent bird.
My dad spotted this bear and cubs at the top of Mt. Roberts....can you see it? This was almost the closest that we came to seeing one, until today on our hike. You will have to wait for future blogs to read about this encounter.
A lot of our time together was spent enjoying the great outdoors. Being a temperate rain forest, Juneau usually sees a lot of rain and overcast days. However, the entire time my parents have been here it has been sunny and at least 70's. My dad likes to say that while he was here he never saw darkness, which is pretty much true. Given our long days of summer sun you often go to bed and wake up in brightness. It has been nice to have the extra hours to squeeze in all of our hikes.
This was while we were hiking around Sandy Beach, I was trying to give Ian a better view of the waterfall. I think he appreciated the boost.

Here is Sandy Beach. This is the old pump house they used during the gold mining days. It is quite a landmark here in Juneau. They are actually going to begin restorations on this in the near future.

Always looking for something to do and NEVER losing energy, I decided to try to wear my dad out one night and go on a hilly 10 mile bike ride to a local waterfall. However, that still didn't work.
Along the way we stopped to pan for gold. He didn't find any that day, but eventually he did earn the title of "Alaskan Gold Miner" (more on that later).
On Monday my friend Brian flew my parents and I over to the Juneau ice fields and Tracy Arm on his plane. This was my dads favorite thing while here in Juneau. I have to admit, it was pretty amazing flying over areas that have never seen the foot of man.
Tracy Arm is a large glacier tucked away inside a large fjord. All around the bowl of mountains and ice, waterfalls cascade down into the turquoise waters below.
This is a pictures of some of the melted ice pools on the glacier in the ice field. It goes on for miles and miles off into the mountains. As I looked out the window of the plane unto this vastness of beauty I was again reminded of what an amazing creator we have. Although somehow my heart understands, my human mind could never have come up with something so beautiful. It makes me feel so small yet so loved all at the same time.
As if one glacier wasn't enough, my parents and I biked Herbert Glacier Trail to see Stewart's Glacier....just kidding...we biked Herbert Glacier Trail to Herbert Glacier (I was just seeing if you were actually reading this or just looking at the pictures)
The 9 mile trail is great for biking. It is about 30 miles outside of Juneau and in definite bear country. We made sure to talk, sing, or scream while we hustled a long to our final destination.
My parents really were super troopers with all the hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. But I think after a while they really wanted to take a break. Some more than others...MOM!
But, we made it! And relax again we did!
My mom was pretty funny on this trip. Two of my all time favorite quotes were from her this day. The first was while we biking there (she got a little tired / winded) and the second was after we reached the glacier.
"I can now go to my grave a better woman having known Herbert"
"I am not talking to you anymore because I cannot breathe"
-Karen Ringenberg 2013
I still have many more pictures to share but as I have learned in life, moderation is key. I will post the remainder later. Until then, kick back, relax, and have a Happy Fathers Day!
In Joy and Love,
Sarah










No comments:
Post a Comment