We welcomed our good friends, Aaron and Ashley Montero to Alaska. They made the long trip (via trains, planes, and automobiles) from Michigan to stay with us for 1 week. We really enjoyed having them visit us; so much so that we all shared 1 bedroom for most of the trip! Who says good friends cannot bunk together? I guess here is where I should clarify that we did have 2 separate beds. Regardless, we are very happy that they came and they very much enhanced our trip.
| Here is the trail head of the Lost Lake Run. |
| Ian showing off those runner legs |
| Behind Ashley and I is the Northwestern Glacier. Although it is receding at record rates, it is still a magnificent sight. At one point this glacier came out into the Fjord 10 miles! I do have to admit, though, that my "save the trees" mentality was kicking in big time as I watched big chunks of the glacier breaking off. Some may find the sounds and sight beautiful, I just couldn't stomach it personally. Mostly impart because I know that in a few short years, this glacier may not even be here. Such a tragedy! So......go recycle your plastics people and turn off your lights! |
Closer look at the Glacier
|
Views coming upon the Northwestern Glacier.
|
| A Harbor Seal enjoying his iceberg. As we turned the corner into the Northwestern Fjord, this is the sight that we saw. It was just amazing....hundreds of little sea lions resting on floating icebergs welcomed us. |
| On the cruise ship |
| Parts of the cruise took us by high waterfalls. You cannot make out the height of this one, but it was all the way up the mountain and dumped into the ocean beneath us. Again, just beautiful! |
| My attempt to capture a humpback whale. We saw several of these in the cove. It was hard to capture their fins because they were so fast, so all you get is this. |
![]() |
| The famous Puffins. We saw hundreds of these little birds on the cruise. At one point there was a hole flock of them along side the rocky mountain walls. So my pictures may not end up on National Geographic, but you can imagine a whole wall of these little guys. |
| Found on an adjacent cove there was a large group of sea lions. These guys were funny. All you could hear was their grunting. I really liked watching them defend their territory, they are quite clumsy looking. |
| This was by far my favorite part of the cruise. At one point we found a super pod of orca (killer whales). Apparently this is very uncommon. A super pod consists of 40+ whales. Our captain said that he had never seen anything like this and we spent a lot of time just taking it in. Everywhere you looked, and I mean everywhere you saw these beautiful creatures. They even came up beside the boat to show off. I definitely felt my heart stir while being with these whales and at one point thought about just jumping in to swim with them knowing I would die very very happy. Ian on the other hand discouraged this so I thought better stay on the ship for him. |
![]() |
| I guess I should say that Ian and Aaron caught this large fish....but, in all truth it was plastic. This picture was taken in Homer, Alaska. After our cruise we took a drive down to Homer to visit this beautiful seaside town. The drive along the Seward Highway into Seward and then into Homer was amazing. There really isn't anything quite like it with all the cliffs, mountains, valleys, etc. I am really glad that we did the drive, and Homer didn't disappoint. We enjoyed walking along the spit and looking at all the art shops. We even visited ABI (Alaskan Bible Institute) where my parents come often. |
| Just a friendly game of horseshoe. I think Ian won this one? |
![]() |
| This is at one of our many stops. I am not sure where, but it was a great view. At one point, we found a small lake that Aaron decided to go swimming in.....he just HAD to do it despite our cautions about hypothermia. But, if you ask him, he would say that it was invigorating and well worth it. He made several memories like this, and very much added to our enjoyable time. Thanks, Aaron, for doing what all of us wanted to do, but didn't have the guts too! |
| Such a wonderful time with friends, nature, and God. Being in this kind of beauty you just cannot deny that something more divine exists. We are thankful to have an awesome creator, and wonderful friends to share it with. Blessings and Love Sarah |




Great blog Sarah! I approve of this message. :)
ReplyDeleteIan and Sarah, I love your blog!!! I thank God we were able to meet and become friends while you were here in Aniak and treasure our friendship, you are both a blessing :) I will stay in touch with you both and will look forward to updates on your blog :) Take care and God bless with loves and hugs a bunches always...
ReplyDeleteLove,
Celeste
Hi Celeste! I am glad that you found our blog. I will definitely try to keep in touch. Thanks again for allowing us into your life! God Bless!
DeleteYour pictures and stories continue to prove the beauty that God surrounds us with. I'm so glad you were able to have some friends come visit. The 16 mile run sounds amazing. I could only do it if they let me walk most of it. The cruise sounds wonderful, especially with all the wildlife and orcas. Sorry, I missed you on your last trip home, but I know how much you have to pack into your short trips home. I hope Juneau is nothing but good to you both. Love and miss you.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful landscape Sarah! The wife and I will be up to visit you both soon :) How long is the drive from Vicksburg Michigan?
ReplyDelete