Greetings earthlings and other lower 48-ers! Like the picture, it feels like we are living on another planet here in Aniak. It was -40 to -50 most of last week and even -65 in a near by village. For a good part of the time nothing was working: quads, snow machines, planes, our walking legs......
When it is that cold you really begin to appreciate the warmth of zero degrees! Unfortunately I have seen my fair share of frost bite in the clinic as well. It happens so quickly, that even with the best winter gear, the chilling cold will find its way to your skin and INSIDE your home......
This is the INSIDE of our window. All of our windows had about 4-5 inches of ice along the sides and bottoms. Ian and I kept checking the thermostat and it said it was 70, but I guess when you are battling -50 outside you can form ice no matter where it is.
This is the INSIDE window handle, completely frozen.
So what, you may you ask, are we doing then when it is that cold? Well.....
And, we did warm up some wonderful guests as well.
This is Barbara and Ceatin Green, they were here with ABI (Alaska Bible Institute) to help our local pastor cut wood for the winter. They are extra special, among many reasons, because Barbara is the daughter of my parent's pastor, Russ, back home. To think, from a small town in Michigan, two people with such close ties to my loved ones found their way out here.
We really enjoyed hearing how God is working in their lives (they just got married this summer) and Ian especially enjoyed their presence for a game of Risk. We were sad to see them leave, but happy to have established a closer friendship with them both.
Now back to being to being alone and by ourselves.....
Blessing
-Sarah


Well, I sure love winter, but I don't know if I could handle those cold temperatures as long as you have been. I hope you both are staying warm. Glad to see your finding ways to entertain yourselves and taking silly pictures. What a small world, with Barbara heading your way. Keep the posts coming. I love hearing what your up to.
ReplyDelete